Author Topic: VA switches itself off  (Read 1774 times)

Vlodec

VA switches itself off
« on: July 17, 2020, 03:01:00 PM »
It started happening recently. If I leave it alone for a while - and I've yet to discover exactly how long - I'll find that VA has switched itself off. By which I mean it closes itself down altogether. It's not the end of the world, but it's kind of annoying. Is this a known issue, or is it just me?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VA switches itself off
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 03:04:30 PM »
Are you running any plugins?

If so, does the issue still occur when you disable plugin support?

Do you have a VoiceAttackFault.txt file?

Vlodec

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 03:14:36 PM »
Plugins are not enabled.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 04:27:50 PM »
It's not a known issue or something it does on its own.  I've noticed you've had VA for a number of years and this has just started recently - you'll want to look over recent changes that have been made to your system to see if there may be something else shutting VA down (antivirus would be the first place I would check).  Also, if there is a VoiceAttackFault.txt file in your installation directory that Pfeil had mentioned (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack), that may have telling information in it.

Vlodec

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 04:40:52 PM »
There is no VoiceAttackFault file in the install directory.

I DID change my rig recently, going from an Intel chip to AMD Ryzen, with consequent change in motherboard too. I had to do a clean re-install as a result, including VA. I do have Avast anti-virus. I had this before the changeover, and never had any problems with it - that I know of.

Vlodec

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 09:49:40 AM »
For anyone who might be interested, I think I've solved this problem.

When I changed the motherboard and chip I had problems I couldn't solve, so I took it to a local PC shop. The guy there couldn't solve it either, and so he took it upon himself to do a clean re-install of Windows 10, without asking first. I've just discovered that, for some reason I can only guess at, he allowed Tablet Mode - which I wasn't even aware existed.

It's strange because the PC wasn't actually in Tablet Mode, but the Tablet Mode switch was set to ON, "when I sign in" was set to "keep the mode I last used", and I can't recall now what "when I use this device as a tablet" was set to.

At any rate I switched Tablet Mode OFF, put "When I sign in" to "Never use tablet mode", and that seems to have solved the issue.

Curious.