Author Topic: VoiceAttack causes win10 to shut down frequently  (Read 4179 times)

sg1000

VoiceAttack causes win10 to shut down frequently
« on: July 14, 2020, 02:04:34 AM »
Just received a new PC. Windows kept shutting down.
After a week of hardware stress testing with the PC customer service team, we narrowed it down to VoiceAttack. For some weird reason, in VR, if I use VoiceAttack, win10 will shut itself down often. (An orderly shut down, with the shutting down message and animation, not the blue screen of death). First time is usually around the 15 minute mark.
So I can no longer use VoiceAttack.

Any ideas why VA should be causing this and what I can do about it?
It shuts down both in Elite Dangerous and DCS World. I also use HCS voice packs and Viacom Pro.

Thanks

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VoiceAttack causes win10 to shut down frequently
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 02:19:05 AM »
Does this occur when plugin support is disabled (uncheck the "Enable Plugin Support" option on the "General" tab of the VoiceAttack options window and restart VoiceAttack)?

Have you tried creating an empty profile and just having VoiceAttack running in the background?

Just so we're clear, if VoiceAttack is not running, but circumstances are the same otherwise (E.G. in VR running Elite:Dangerous or DCS), this does not occur?

VoiceAttack doesn't shut down Windows unless it's been set up to do so, E.G. through a command containing the "Windows Miscellaneous Functions" action set to the "Shutdown PC" option.

There are also key combinations that can result in Windows shutting down, E.G. Win-D, followed by Alt-F4, followed by the Enter key.
I'll assume you didn't get a look at the log on VoiceAttack's main window to check whether and which commands were executed before the shutdown commenced, especially considering you'd have a VR headset on.

sg1000

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 09:45:03 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply @pfeil. Sorry for the very late response. I was expecting a notification when someone replied – didn't get one – so missed your reply completely.

To answer you: Doesn't happen in VR with any app unless VA is running. I've used it on another machine for ages with no issues, then did a new install on new PC – which is when the issues started.

Before I try another clean install, I thought I'd see if there was a known issue or workaround.

I'll reinstall first, then take a look at the VoiceAttack profiles to see if any commands are triggering it. I don't think they are, as I have Voiceattack to only listen while a specific joystick button is pressed and I'm pretty it wasn't.

Will report back here.

sg1000

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 05:06:12 AM »
Reinstalled VoiceAttack and HCS Voicepacks and Vaicom pro plugins.
VoiceAttack still causes win 10 to shut down in use. I'm using stock profiles? No idea why this is happening?

Any thoughts?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 05:08:12 AM »
Does this occur when plugin support is disabled (uncheck the "Enable Plugin Support" option on the "General" tab of the VoiceAttack options window and restart VoiceAttack)?

Have you tried creating an empty profile and just having VoiceAttack running in the background?

sg1000

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 05:42:16 AM »
Thanks for your reply. Will test that and report back.

sg1000

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 06:09:12 AM »
I can confirm - yes, VoiceAtttack causes windows to shut itself down with:
1) plugins disabled
2) Using a new, blank profile (no commands set)

VoiceAttack was open but I was not using it (ie not pressing the joystick button to trigger listening).
I was watching a video and windows shut itself down. Only does this if VoiceAttack is running.

Really strange?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 06:18:24 AM »
Was this video also in VR?

If you open the VoiceAttack options window (by clicking the wrench icon on the main window) and leave it open, does the issue still occur?

Have you checked the Windows event log for any indications as to the cause of the shutdown? Event ID 1074 in the System log may offer information as the what initiated the shutdown

sg1000

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 08:02:07 AM »
Hey Pfeil,
Reporting back.
Thanks for your help.

1) Keeping the options window open appears to stop the shutting down issue.
2) Checked the shutdown events in windows. Don't know if helpful but here's what I found:

*I changed my computer name and username but otherwise as the messages appeared)*

MTAFileNf EVT†MSGŽ¶PUBÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿx¨ÀØð¦ &
¾
GÍ D!¸"ÿÿÿÿ""""""""""""""ÿÿÿÿxš¸Ðì,BXp†¢¼Üô*@\~¦ÄØ(VrŽªÌî
RϾLog AlwaysCritical ErrorWarningInformationVerbose
None
Info Start   
Stop
DCStart DCStop Extension
 ReplyResumeSuspend
SendReceiveAnyKeyword Response TimeWDI Diag SQM Audit Failure Audit Success&"Correlation HintClassicWarningClassicThe process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (WINDOWS-COMPUTER) has initiated the power off of computer (WINDOWS-COMPUTER) on behalf of user [*My user name and computer here*] for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)

Reason Code: 0x0

Shut-down Type: power off

Comment: The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (WINDOWS-COMPUTER) has initiated the power off of computer (WINDOWS-COMPUTER) on behalf of user [*My user name and computer here*]  for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)

Comment: B>The process C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\shutdown.exe (WINDOWS-COMPUTER) has initiated the shutdown of computer (WINDOWS-COMPUTER) on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found

Reason Code: 0x800000ff

Shut-down Type: shutdown

Comment: The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (WINDOWS-COMPUTER) has initiated the restart of computer W(WINDOWS-COMPUTER) on behalf of user [*My user name and computer here*]  for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)

Shut-down Type: restart

Comment: B>The process C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\shutdown.exe (WINDOWS-COMPUTER) has initiated the shutdown of computer (WINDOWS-COMPUTER) on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found

Comment: !B>The process C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\shutdown.exe (WINDOWS-COMPUTER) has initiated the shutdown of computer (WINDOWS-COMPUTER) on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found

Comment: "The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (WINDOWS-COMPUTER) has initiated the power off of computer (WINDOWS-COMPUTER)on behalf of user  [*My user name and computer here*] for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)

Comment: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿx~þ    

ð0234567"DEFAULT_PUBLISHER07 User32

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 09:02:17 AM »
Checking on my machine, if VoiceAttack uses the "Windows Miscellaneous Functions" action to initiate a shut down or power off, the responsible process is listed as "winlogon.exe", with reason code 0x500ff, which doesn't match what's happening on your machine.

Opening the options window disables the speech recognition engine, keyboard/mouse hooks, and joystick polling, none of which should normally cause a shutdown

Do you have any global profiles? Which applications are running in the background? Do you have Windows Speech Recognition running as well?

sg1000

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 03:44:23 AM »
Hi Pfeil,
Really appreciate your help with this one. It's driving me nuts - would love to be able to use VoiceAttack again...

Have attached a list of what could typically be running when the issue happens.

To confirm what I know about the issue:

1) If the 'enable plugins' setting is disabled, it appears that VoiceAttack can stay open (if not used) without shutting down
2) If plugins are enabled VoiceAttack causes windows to shut itself down in a matter of minutes, and repeatedly at intervals.
3) I don't have to be 'using' a plugin for the issue to occur. I think it happens even with a 'blank' (non-plugin-related profile) active.
4) VoiceAttack will shut down windows even when not listening for voice commands. I have listening bound to a button on a joystick/throttle. Shutdown happens irrespective of whether the speech recognition is on. There are no external sounds to trigger it either  as I use headphones and am In a quiet room when it shuts down.
5) I don't (knowingly) use windows speech recognition outside of VoiceAttack.
6) issue happens in both games I use with VoiceAttack: Elite Dangerous (Plus HCSVoicePacks) & DCS World (Plus Vaicom pro). So it would appear not to be an issue with an individual game/plugin but a wider issue with handling of plugins / VoiceAttack generally?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 08:30:02 AM »
1) If the 'enable plugins' setting is disabled, it appears that VoiceAttack can stay open (if not used) without shutting down
1) plugins disabled

Define "if not used"? Does disabling plugins stop the issue from occurring or not?

3) I don't have to be 'using' a plugin for the issue to occur. I think it happens even with a 'blank' (non-plugin-related profile) active.
6) issue happens in both games I use with VoiceAttack: Elite Dangerous (Plus HCSVoicePacks) & DCS World (Plus Vaicom pro). So it would appear not to be an issue with an individual game/plugin but a wider issue with handling of plugins / VoiceAttack generally?

Plugins are loaded when VoiceAttack starts (provided they're not explicitly disabled); If the plugin author configured their plugin to perform certain tasks when it's loaded, the plugin does not need to be called for those tasks to be executed.

You can use the plugin manager to selectively disable plugins, try disabling one plugin (assuming you're only running the two plugins you've mentioned), and if the issue still occurs, also disable the other. Then, if the issue no longer occurs, re-enable the first plugin and check again.

sg1000

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 10:43:42 AM »
Thanks for your continued help, Pfeil
I can see how my comments are confusing.

Define "if not used"? Does disabling plugins stop the issue from occurring or not?

By "if not used" I mean that:
1) the profiles for the corresponding plugins were not loaded/active. As the VA startup screen gave no mention of any of the plugins loading anything (as it does when a plugin profile is set as the active profile) I assumed plugins would not be doing anything.

I will spend a bit of time troubleshooting along the lines you suggest and try to narrow things down some more.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 10:51:37 AM »
So then
1) plugins disabled
is an "or", not an "and"?

If so, disable plugin support, and use a completely empty, new profile. In other words, don't use anything that isn't part of VoiceAttack itself (which third-party plugins and profiles are not)

sg1000

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 10:52:58 AM »
Tried a few permutations (See the attached table).
Issue appears to be linked to having the “Enable plugins” top-level option checked, irrespective of whether the plugins themselves are actually active or not?

Hope this helps?

Thanks

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 11:18:50 AM »
Do you have any other plugins other than the two listed?

If you (re)move the contents of the "Apps" folder so it's empty, but leave the "Enable Plugin Support" option checked , does the issue still occur?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 11:26:37 AM »
Whether it works or not, you're going to need to do a system file scan:   https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

This is good to do from time to time, even if there are no apparent problems.

sg1000

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2020, 08:34:09 AM »
Thanks Pfeil and Gary.
I've deleted all plugins from within VoiceAttack. And disabled plugins in the VoiceAttack settings.
Problem is still there - so not plugin related despite the fact it was looking that way.

Windows 10will shut itself down after a while if VoiceAttack is running. Even with a new/blank profile and no plugins.

It's a brand new PC from Scan. Their tech team spent three weeks troubleshooting the issue. Hardware and software tests, stress checking - file checks - the lot. PC came out 100%. We narrowed it down to VoiceAttack eventually. It was one of the few things I'd installed on day one besides steam.

Problem only happens if VA is running. Seemed to be okay unless plugins active. Now issue happens even without plugins. Consistent over several days.

It also shut down once when I was editing a blank / new profile (not sure if that helps troubleshooting).

I just don't get it? Any other thoughts? Thanks both.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2020, 12:23:23 PM »
If you check the "Disable Speech Recognition" option on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window and restart VoiceAttack, does the issue still occur?

sg1000

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2020, 02:59:08 PM »
Yes. Still occurs with that disabled.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2020, 03:04:27 PM »
As you indicated the issue does not occur with the VoiceAttack options window open, which both shuts down the speech recognition and the keyboard hook, I'm trying to narrow it down to one of those two.

Does the issue still occur when you disable keyboard shortcuts (using the keyboard icon on the main window)?

Just to make sure: Have you used your computer for extended periods of time without VoiceAttack running?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2020, 04:21:28 PM »
I just want to chime in and say thanks to Pfeil for tirelessly working on this.  Also, sorry that you're having trouble with VA in this regard, sg.  I will say that this is the very first instance of this ever occurring since the project started in 2009, and if it turns out that VA is actually the cause of the issue, it is going to be directly related to a component that VA depends on to work - which means that there is component (or component of a component) that is out of sorts on your machine that VA is talking to.  I would mention to 'Scan' about this being a completely isolated instance over the course of more than a decade to see what they think about it.  Also mention that although VA *can* shut a computer down, it only does so when issued through an explicit command (and though a completely different method than what is showing up in the log).  The problem could be a driver, hardware or setting.  Speaking of setting, have you reviewed your power plan on your PC?  Press the Windows key and type, 'Edit power plan' - run that app.  Click on, 'change advanced power settings' and scan through there.  You can also open up a command prompt and type powercfg /q to query for the same information.  Feel free to post the results of that query here if you like.

sg1000

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2020, 08:36:09 AM »
Yes, Pfeil and Gary – thanks to both.
The fact that no-one else has this issue with VoiceAttack (plus some inconsistencies with triggering it) makes this an extreme edge case and, as you say, most likely a weird conflict/trigger with some aberrant windows process.

So ... deep breath ... time to wipe my PC and reinstall windows.

I'll report back (I may be some time) once VoiceAttack is up and running in the hope that this helps others.

Fingers crossed.

And thanks again for all your time and patience.

Stuart

sg1000

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2020, 08:34:54 AM »
Hi Pfeil and Gary,
Coming back here to thank you both for your help a few months back. Finally wiped and rebuilt my PC. The issue was to do with the win 10 factory install on a new PC would you believe. And not VoiceAttack at all.

I just wanted to post this here, so to thank you both, and in case it helped others. Also to reassure people that VoiceAttack was not the issue.

Thanks again for your help.
Best wishes,
Stuart

Nightbender

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2020, 09:16:15 AM »
Greetings,

I've used VA in the past with Star Citizen, but its been a couple years.  I recently went back to WoW, and decided to use VA with it since its so handy for certain things.

I have this exact same issue.  After a period of time of VA running, Windows will shutdown.  I don't have to be doing anything for this to happen.  My last test I just brought VA up from a fresh boot, put voice input on pause, and left it running.  20 minutes later my system went into shutdown.

I'm running the latest build of Win10, my install is only a couple months old, and I have all drivers and bios to current versions.  This is a fresh install of VA from Steam.  I'm running it as admin.  I only have 1 profile for WoW, and 0 plugins.  That profile only has 10 commands in it and they are all variations of Ctrl + # or Alt + #.

I don't know if this will help at all, but I have noticed 1 pattern.  While in WoW, with the WoW profile active, if I click any of the state transition buttons, its a instant shut down.  State Transition = Res, Summon to portal stone, self res, etc.   I successfully repeated this last night by running VA as normal, getting killed, and using self res.  After the computer came back up, I had a couple of friends summon me via a portal stone.  The exact moment I click Accept, the computer shuts down.

I'll troubleshoot more tonight and watch this thread.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2020, 11:54:24 AM »
As mentioned, VoiceAttack itself does not instruct Windows to shut down unless explicitly told to do so, so there's something else involved here.

If you do have a situation in which you can reliably replicate the issue, try stopping all commands (I'd recommend setting up a hotkey for that on the "Hotkeys" tab of the VoiceAttack options window) before clicking the mouse (also check whether it's a mouse click in any location, or specifically a mouse click on an ingame control that causes it).

Stopping all commands will likely not actually stop any commands, unless you do have some running in the background, but it will make VoiceAttack release any pressed keyboard keys (pressed by any application or the physical keyboard).
This is to try and rule out that it's a combination of modifier keys (like Ctrl and Alt) that are getting stuck in a pressed state somehow.