Author Topic: Arma 3 - Ctrl, Shift, etc etc not working  (Read 37293 times)

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Arma 3 - Ctrl, Shift, etc etc not working
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2016, 04:04:21 PM »
Again, thank you for your help. 

I put an, 'unofficial' build out on the site that attempts to unify Standard/DirectX mode.  Keys like, 'numpad enter' and media keys are all available in the key chooser screen (the little keyboard icon on the key press screen).

If you have a moment and don't mind, would you download the beta from here:

http://www.voiceattack.com/beta

Please try adding key presses and see if everything works as you would expect.  Also, please try just running what you already have in place (whether it was directX or standard) and see if they continue to work. 

When you set up key presses on the German keyboard, do the key names display properly in the interface?  Like, when you press ß, Z, Y, ö, and ä do they display properly and do they get entered correctly when used in a command?

What I did for this instance is simply hide the mode input from the key press, quick input and recorder screens.  The mode in the old way is ignored and a new function is being used.  If this all works out I'll move forward, otherwise I'll just revert and come at it from another direction.

Hoping that will solve all of this ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:28:29 PM by Gary »

Alpha-Kilo

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 04:01:02 AM »
Gary,

I have just downloaded the latest beta and Avast checked the file and "Avast virus lab says: This file is harmful".

None of the previous betas or full versions of Voice Attack have triggered this message. Of course it might be a false positive but could you please check your code again, just to make sure everything's alright?
----------------------------------------------------------------
SPEAKEASY - voice control for Arma 3:
http://voiceattack.com/SMF/index.php?topic=1494.0

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2016, 07:17:59 AM »
False positive.  I run the .exe, .dlls and installer through VirusTotal before releasing:
https://www.virustotal.com

It's interesting to move the code around, recompile and see what each antivirus engine thinks VA has a virus (and what type of virus it is).

Alpha-Kilo

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 11:41:27 AM »
OK, thanks. I started some tests and here is what I have found, so far:

Question 1: I put an, 'unofficial' build out on the site that attempts to unify Standard/DirectX mode.  Keys like, 'numpad enter' and media keys are all available in the key chooser screen (the little keyboard icon on the key press screen).

The media keys on my Logitech G19 keyboards were recognised in both the Key Press method and the Recorder simply by pressing them. I did not have to use the key chooser. Numpad Enter was mistakenly recognised as the main Enter key in both methods, again. I could choose Numeric Enter in the key chooser but it didn't work in the game.

Question 2: Please try adding key presses and see if everything works as you would expect.

I'll do that and let you know the result.

Question 3: Also, please try just running what you already have in place (whether it was directX or standard) and see if they continue to work. 

I made a spot check and found no errors except from the Enter problem. I'll test more and will let you know the results.

Question 4: When you set up key presses on the German keyboard, do the key names display properly in the interface?  Like, when you press ß, Z, Y, ö, and ä do they display properly and do they get entered correctly when used in a command?

I opened Key Press and typed every key and watched the interface. Several keys were listed with their correct English name, but not with their German name. Example: Print Screen should be Drucken, Delete should be Entf. If you want I can provide a full list of these differences. I personally think this is just a slight imperfection but not terribly important as long as the keys are recognised correctly.

Additional ideas – not related to the problem:
- Could you add the little blue, yellow and green dots to the small version of the interface? This would make it easier to see at one glace whether a command was recognised properly.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 07:25:54 PM »
I could choose Numeric Enter in the key chooser but it didn't work in the game.
I think I got this one worked out.

I opened Key Press and typed every key and watched the interface. Several keys were listed with their correct English name, but not with their German name. Example: Print Screen should be Drucken, Delete should be Entf. If you want I can provide a full list of these differences. I personally think this is just a slight imperfection but not terribly important as long as the keys are recognised correctly.
Yeah... it's English-only right now.  I'm hoping to make version 2 truly multi-language.  I didn't think VA would even get traction in the US ;)

Could you add the little blue, yellow and green dots to the small version of the interface? This would make it easier to see at one glace whether a command was recognised properly.
I can look at this, but it's a different control and may not be able to accept the graphics.  I can maybe make use of two controls...

Thanks a bunch for the help. I'll put another beta out with the fixed Numpad Enter.  New beta is out there!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:28:26 PM by Gary »

Alpha-Kilo

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2016, 09:05:23 AM »
Numeric Enter
Thanks for the new beta 1.5.12.9. Unfortunately it did not enable Numeric Enter. In the Key Press menu I could use the key chooser but it didn't work in the game. In the Recorder there is no key chooser, so the interface just showed "Enter", even if I recorded Numeric Enter. So there is no change from 1.5.12.7 to 1.5.12.9

Multi-language support planned for version2
If there is anything I can do to help with German keyboard testing, settings, etc, just let me know.

Graphics in compact interface
Thanks for considering it.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2016, 09:21:36 PM »
Unfortunately it did not enable Numeric Enter.

Weird... I put the code back to what it was before v1.5.12.7 with the numeric enter key.  I popped open C&C Red Alert (lol... yeah... I still have that) and tried out the numeric enter and the alpha enter and it was able to distinguish between the two without issue.

In the Recorder there is no key chooser
Yeah... this is the trade-off and kind of hits on why there was two modes to begin with (there were some other reasons, but I can't even recall what they were now... it's been years).  The problem is that the underlying framework event code does not distinguish between the numeric and the alpha enter keys.  I did some digging and I may be able to distinguish the two with a little hacker-y.  This will only be available from the recorder and from the key press screens (hotkeys still will not distinguish the difference for now).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:08:18 PM by Gary »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2016, 10:00:23 PM »
One more thing... I put another build out in the, 'unofficial' bin.  Would you try it out and see if your numpad enter works with this configuration?

http://www.voiceattack.com/unofficial

If that one works, I will go with that configuration.

Alpha-Kilo

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2016, 09:52:36 AM »
Thanks for 1.5.12.10. Whatever you changed this time - it works. Numeric Enter is recognised and executed.

I found that Numeric Decimal doesn't work in 1.5.12.10. Not sure if it did in previous version because I don't use this function often, but this time I tested every Numpad key. So could you do your magic with Numeric Decimal, too, please?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2016, 10:33:13 AM »
My next steps are to do a full audit across the board to make sure things are square before committing to a full release, so that one will be at the top ;)

Thanks for your help!

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2016, 01:40:29 PM »
I think I've got it hammered out.  If you don't mind just one more beta install to make sure it works right for you, it's available here:  http://www.voiceattack.com/beta

Thanks again!

Alpha-Kilo

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2016, 02:28:10 PM »
I can make this very short by saying it works. Numeric Enter and Numeric Decimal don't cause problems anymore. The other keys I have tested also work flawlessly.

I'd like to add that the latest changes make it much easier to use Voice Attack. Thanks for the continuing effort you are putting into this project.

Technomancer

• I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2016, 02:30:28 PM »
Wow!  I've been following this thread, though I don't play Arma.

Great job by Gary (and the folks of VA)!!

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2016, 07:58:51 PM »
Thanks for the work on this, guys.  I can finally sleep lol :)

Cananas

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2016, 02:39:52 AM »
Not yet  ;)...

When you have time, now it is necessary to rewrite/remove some paragraphs from the Key Press Tips:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:37:12 AM by Cananas »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2016, 02:27:27 PM »
Yeah... I've got a lot of work still to be done.  All the documentation plus the website and stuff around here :(

Thanks for the heads-up!