Author Topic: What is the better approach regarding performance  (Read 2220 times)

janjan

What is the better approach regarding performance
« on: April 19, 2020, 12:19:05 AM »
Hi,
In one of the profiles I am using there are numerous commands which generate a large number of dynamic commands.
e.g. "radio one frequency [225..399] point [00;05;2..19,5]".
How can this effect my game performance and how much resource can voice attack use with many such commands?
If this can effect performance i am considering changing such commands to something like:

"radio one frequency [ * ] point [ * ]"
I will then turn segments [ 1 ] & [ 3 ] to integers and make sure they are in the right range [225-399] & [00-50].
 If the latter can improve performance then what is the right way to construct such a command that will have 2 'wildcard' parts.
"radio one frequency [ * ] point [ * ]" does not work.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: What is the better approach regarding performance
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 07:03:06 AM »
Unless you're short on memory (and/or other resources), having a larger amount of commands in your profile should not noticeably affect performance while VoiceAttack is running with the profile is already loaded. It can greatly affect the loading time of your profile, however.

Wildcards, as specified in VoiceAttackHelp.pdf, can only be placed at the beginning, end, or beginning and end of a phrase; Never in between.

janjan

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 07:22:59 AM »
I've got 32GB of ram and ample resources on my PC.
If you say there is not, or hardly any impact on performance after VA has loaded then I'll keep the command format.

Thanks

mtm

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 01:02:04 PM »
I apologize for jumping in on someone else's thread but I had basically the exact same question, and this discussion is recent so...

When using VA while playing a game (Starfighter:Infinity), I've noticed in particularly heavy areas (tons of ships, framerate dropping slightly) that I will sometimes get no response from VA at all, or when I do it comes about 3 or 4 seconds after the command was issued.

I have about 1,400 derived commands in my profile.  I planned to trim that down to only a couple of hundred in the hopes that would help performance.  But it sounds like changing that won't help my issues.  Should I leave it as is and look for other potential bottlenecks?

I'm also running 32gb of ram and have never gotten close to using it all.  I believe the game I'm playing may peg the cpu at times if that's relevant.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 01:10:21 PM »
The speech recognition engine can get less/unresponsive if there isn't enough CPU time to go around, just like any application will.

1400 derived commands is not a lot (certainly nowhere near excessive), relatively speaking.

You could try looking into CPU priority and affinity, but modify either of those with caution.

mtm

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 01:21:23 PM »
Thank you Pfeil!  I'll look in to the cpu prioritization stuff.