Author Topic: EXPORT of all profiles at once  (Read 4274 times)

daronsneed

EXPORT of all profiles at once
« on: April 14, 2020, 10:22:01 PM »
Is there a way to export all profiles at the same time? In ONE file?

Also - is there a way to export the options for the main interface?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: EXPORT of all profiles at once
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 10:30:17 PM »
There is no way to export ALL profiles at once - profile exporting/importing is centered more around sharing your profiles.  If you are wanting to share multiple profiles, you can put them in a .vax (see help document - press F1 while VoiceAttack is in focus).  If you're just wanting to back up all of your profiles at once, you can just backup or copy your VoiceAttack.dat file (Options > System/Advanced tab, click on, 'Data directory') (more info in the help doc).  To export/import your settings, also on that same tab (more info in the help doc).

Hope that helps!

daronsneed

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 10:37:59 PM »
Thank you. My use case may be somewhat different from the usual.
I am using VA to control production apps on my PC. (Photoshop, Excel, Illustrator etc) I have a duplicate setup at both my office and house. Given the COVID insanity, I work from either or the other location and sometimes switch mid day. So after I spent several hours getting VA set up on my HOME PC, I wanted to be able to put the EXPORTED files in my dropbox and just IMPORT to my VA at work. It wasn't THAT hard to do each one, I was just curious if it was possible to do a dump of everything so I could easily IMPORT at once. (Including the main options too...I have not read the part of how to do this yet)
By the way - please let me know if what I am doing violates a use-rule. I have paid for a license, but if I need to pay for BOTH locations, I have no problem doing so. I want to support you and your efforts which are MUCH appreciated BTW.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 10:51:06 PM »
I understand the situation and I don't see a problem using VA at work and at home - just as long as they're not being used simultaneously (just to be fair).  The EULA says otherwise - might need to update that o_O

I see what you're saying about the multiple profile export/import - you may not want to just overwrite your .dat file at work, just in case you've got stuff there that you don't want to lose.  That's kind of an atypical situation with the usual VA crowd.  I'll make note of it.

Something I've been meaning to try is popping the VoiceAttack.dat in my OneDrive folder and pointing to it with the -datadir command line option.  Then do the same thing on another machine.  I'm thinking that should work - just need to get off my duff and try it out.

daronsneed

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 11:04:04 PM »
Yes, since I am the only one on my PC's there is no simultaneous usage.  :)

I like your idea of the OneDrive (or something similar) and I use that same strategy with other tools that I share between my PC's - my typical situation is being able to stand up from my PC and going to the other one and just picking up where I left off. Until I spend more time with VA, I noticed I am constantly adding, changing things so being able to do it with a "master" file if VA could "look" for the setup files in a single location.

Thanks again for making this and supporting it. I have really found it to be helpful for Excel because I can never remember the macros and formulas for functions I use every now and again. And in Photoshop, I have improved productivity at least 50% from the get go!

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 11:58:16 PM »
just to add that I've had my datadir on my dropbox folder for years and experienced no problems when using the same datadir between pc's and laptops
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

daronsneed

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 09:11:41 PM »
just to add that I've had my datadir on my dropbox folder for years and experienced no problems when using the same datadir between pc's and laptops
Hello - can you please tell me where I find the DataDir file and what steps you took to place it and reference to it in your DropBox? That's exactly what I want to do. Thank you in advance!

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 09:49:50 PM »
VoiceAttack's data file is called VoiceAttack.dat.  You can browse the file's location by going to the options screen and then over to the System/Advanced tab (the file is usually located in C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\VoiceAttack). 

You can move the file to any location, however, you MUST run VoiceAttack with the -datadir command line parameter that points to the folder that contains VoiceAttack.dat.  For instance, if you move the VoiceAttack.dat file to C:\OneDrive\VoiceAttack, you'll need to run VA with -datadir "C:\OneDrive\VoiceAttack".

For more info, search for '-datadir' in the VoiceAttack help file.

Hope that helps!

daronsneed

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 10:31:28 PM »
Gary, thank you...I found the VoiceAttack.DAT file and then read through the manual regarding the files location reference ...but I am afraid the next part is slightly embarrassing...I have no idea how to run a Command Line -datadir...and does it have to be run each time I start VA or is it done just once to set the new path?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

ps-I finally figured out hot to do profile switch after hours of experimenting...I was basically doing it backwards. Your way is MUCH easier!  LOL

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 05:08:33 AM »
I have no idea how to run a Command Line -datadir...and does it have to be run each time I start VA or is it done just once to set the new path?

You need to run VoiceAttack with the "-datadir" parameter every time you start VoiceAttack, otherwise it will use the .dat in the default location (or load the example profile).

If you launch VoiceAttack using a shortcut, right-click said shortcut, choose "Properties", and on the "Shortcut" tab add "-datadir" followed by the path to the folder you want to store the database in, to the end of the "Target" field.

E.G.
Code: [Select]
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe" -datadir "C:\OneDrive\VoiceAttack"Note the double quotes, which are required when using paths that contain spaces.

If you're using the Steam version, follow these instructions to create a shortcut to the executable first.

daronsneed

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 04:11:44 PM »
Thank you !!!!  It works