Author Topic: Enable profile switching  (Read 3720 times)

daronsneed

Enable profile switching
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:36:04 PM »
I am missing something here....I have enabled profile switching in the main options window and also in the profile I call "System". I have 2 other profiles I want to auto switch between

1. Adobe Photoshop 2020 [Process name: photoshop]
2. Google Chrome [Process name: chrome]
3. System
But nothing ever switches between the apps, only if I click in one of the other windows, it goes back to System and stays there.  What am I doing wrong?

My field says

"Enable profile switching for the following windows or processes:
*photoshop*;*chrome*

I also tried
photoshop;chrome
&
*Adobe*;*Google*

ideas?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Enable profile switching
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 05:36:48 AM »
Where do you have "*photoshop*;*chrome*"? If I understand correctly, you have a profile for Photoshop, which should be set to "*photoshop*", a profile for Chrome that should be set to "*chrome*", and a general profile that should be set to "*".

How do you have each profile's "Enable profile switching for the following windows or processes" option configured?

daronsneed

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 09:59:17 PM »
I have three profiles under the main profile drop-down on the main screen...they are:
System
Photoshop
Chrome

In the "Options" for my System profile..I have listed   *photoshop*;*chrome*   under the "Enable profile Switching" section.

I do not have "Enable profile Switching" set for any other profile but System...I tried to give them each a separate setting but could not get that to work either.

Do I need to have that set in each profile? And...do caps matter?

Thank you!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 09:02:39 AM »
Press F1 while VoiceAttack has focus to open VoiceAttackHelp.pdf in your default PDF reader.

You need to set up the "Enable profile switching for the following windows or processes" option for each profile you want VoiceAttack to switch to.

As you have set a single profile to "photoshop*;*chrome*, VoiceAttack will switch to that profile for either application, which is exactly how it's configured.

VoiceAttack is case-insensitive in almost all cases (tokens aside), including this one.

daronsneed

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 06:08:25 PM »
Well, I have switch profile set in the MAIN section and each individual profile.
But no matter what I do, the profile SAYS it is switching to the profile but it always goes back to "system"
it says "Profile automatically changed to system (enable profile switching - google chrome"
If I have enable switching checked and the entry box says *chrome* it should go to Chrome when i open that window..the program sees I have switched, and it even tells me so..but it makes the profile "system" instead of "Chrome"

I have it set like this:
Profile: system > edit > options > profile general > Enable profile switching to the following windows or processes:
[checkbox checked]
*photoshop*;*chrome*
but when I go to one of those apps, the profile switches to system...even if I change the profile in advance to Photoshop, when I actually GO to Photoshop, it switches to "system" profile.

I made a quick video showing what happens
https://youtu.be/AJfvkeXTI1g

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 06:21:39 PM »
you have a profile for Photoshop, which should be set to "*photoshop*", a profile for Chrome that should be set to "*chrome*", and a general profile that should be set to "*".

As you have set a single profile to "photoshop*;*chrome*, VoiceAttack will switch to that profile for either application, which is exactly how it's configured.

daronsneed

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 06:24:15 PM »
Thanks...I finally figured it out after watching my own video. LOL Then I saw your response which confirms I am an idiot.
Question...why do I need the "*"  does that take it back to the main VA profile?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 06:29:51 PM »
Press F1 while VoiceAttack has focus to open VoiceAttackHelp.pdf in your default PDF reader.

Quote from: VoiceAttackHelp.pdf v1.8.5+ page 9
'Enable profile switching for the following windows' - Checking this option will turn on automatic profile switching for this profile (this option works in conjunction with the option, ‘Enable Auto Profile Switching’ which is located on the Options screen. What automatic profile switching does is it allows you to specify one or more running applications to look out for. If a specified application is detected as the foreground window, VoiceAttack will automatically switch to this profile. To keep things as simple as possible, there is a text box that allows you to input the name of the window of the application that you want to look for. The input for this box is semicolon-delimited so you can associate your profile with more than one application. Since window titles vary depending on what you are doing, you can also add asterisks (*) as kind of a basic wildcard. If you put the asterisk at the end of the title, the search becomes, 'starts with' (for example, 'Notepad*'). If you put the asterisk at the beginning ('*Notepad'), the search becomes, 'ends with'. If you put an asterisk on both ends ('*Notepad*'), the search becomes, 'contains'. No asterisks (‘Notepad’) means a direct comparison (equals), and a single asterisk (‘*’) indicates that the profile is to be switched to if no other matches have been made (If VoiceAttack is the active window, the profile will not automatically switch (for obvious reasons)).
Bold emphasis mine.