Author Topic: Having trouble sorting out an Arma3 profile [SOLVED]  (Read 1419 times)

ladlon

Having trouble sorting out an Arma3 profile [SOLVED]
« on: February 13, 2020, 05:51:17 PM »
Hi.  I'm trying to create a profile for Arma3.  I've successfully made profiles before (DCS), but am puzzled how to approach the setup with Arma3... partially because:

1) The one (main action one with Move There, Rejoin, etc) menu changes based on the context.

2) There seems to be no way to directly trigger/access specific commands (keyboard shortcut), but instead, you need to mouse scroll (via VA) through the menus a set number of steps, which itself doesn't seem to be consistant, since the menus evolve).

I have a set of full commands (no prefix/suffix) "1, 2, 3, 4, etc" to toggle the squad member selections.

I then intend on having each command as a prefix/suffix set, such as "Open Fire" (=3, 1... which would open the Engage menu, then select Open Fire)

But, I've always been confused/frustrated with Arma's command system, in that I frequently would inadvertantly deselect the squad members I previously selected, when I would try and issue the actual command.

From what I can see the 'keyboard number' menu group (1Move, 2Target, 3Engage, 4Mount, etc) can only be used with the WHOLE squad (as trying to use it with only CERTAIN members selected cleared it... or the menu wouldn't be available... or something like that... Never did figure that fully out).

For commands for a single person (like Joe, move over there), it SEEMS you have to select the one guy, and then you get that 'main' (non-keyboard number) menu (Interact, Move, Rejoin, etc).

So, to move squad member#2 to a spot I'm pointing at with my rifle, I would say "Two" (triggering the FULL command I made which selects squad member #2), then say "Move there" (triggering another full command I created, which consists of a SPACEBAR keyboard press... as the Move command in Arma3 appears to be selected by default when you select a squad member... although there IS an Interact command above it, but it's greyed out... which then creates the possible dilemma of how would you then distinguish between the Move There command when the Interact option is available (where Move would then be the SECOND menu item, and thus requiring an additional 'mouse wheel down' command in the Move There command in VoiceAttack) vs the Move There command when the Interact option is greyed out (making the Move menu item effectively the FIRST item).

A bit hard to explain/type it all there.... But, essentially, the seeming lack of hardcoded keyboard shortcuts to specific commands (ex. Engage -> Open Fire)... plus the fact that the menus can change (items are not always in the same numeric location in the list)... are kind of making it really puzzling to figure out how to actually address the coding in VA.

I've been searching for vids, hoping to find a tutorial on how to set things up... but all I seem to find is demonstrations of other people's setups, without explanations on how to set it up.  Granted, I'm sure I can find someone's pre-made profile, but I'm hesitant on that, as it's probably not set up the way I'd like (...although, I guess I could edit it from there).

Just kind of hoping someone can point out the thing that I'm probably misunderstanding here.

Just one or two examples of how you'd set up a command for (say) two selected squad members in a squad of four (.... the important thing, is that it's not the WHOLE squad).

I'd gladly check out any video links, if you have them!

TLDR version:
So, I got some things working, but I'm not sure how to address the fact that the Arma command menu which appears when you select a specific squad member rather than the whole squad (where it then uses the 'keyboard numbers' menu group) seems to not only change as far as it's content (context based), but the default highlighted menu item isn't consistent either, making a locked 'open menu, move down two, select' kind of method for the VoiceAttack coding not an option (...since there appears to be no hard-coded keyboard shortcuts to each specific command, when it comes to 'specific squad member' actions.

So, for example, how would you do the VA coding/setup to tell a selected squad member to Rejoin?

I'd use my 'Two' comand (F2 to select squad member 2), and then I'd say 'Rejoin' which would trigger my Rejoin command (mouse wheel down one (to move the selection in the menu down from Move to Rejoin) followed by a Spacebar press).  Problem is, sometimes that menu opens up, and one of the lower commands is highlighted, rather than the top one... so, that kind of falls apart.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 07:38:39 PM by ladlon »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Having trouble sorting out an Arma3 profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 05:56:00 PM »
You could have a look at this premade profile; Even if it doesn't meet your requirements, you may still be able to gain an understanding of how that author worked around the problems you are describing.

ladlon

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 06:19:37 PM »
Been playing around with it some more... ugh.  Ya, the 'whole squad' command system is fine so far, as it uses the 'keyboard numbers' menu group, which stays consistant, so you can do commands usually with a single number press or a pair of number presses.

But, the menu that comes up when you select a specific squad member(s) not only changes (based on context?), but even the menu item that is highlighted when the menu appears can move (...no idea what triggers that)... and since there's no direct keyboar shortcuts for those (squad member, not whole squad) commands, you have to access via mouse wheel up/down and space... which falls apart when the menu itself (and the starting position of the highlight) don't seem to have any consistancy.

Looking at it, though, I suppose that I could simply do the single/multi member commands with the mouse (since it IS just the one menu, and it's usually just a quick mouse wheel and click away, rather than having to memorize the numbered command menus)... and then have VA take care of the 'whole squad' commands, which is the one you really want voice control for, since it consists of the 9 or so numbered menus, many with further menus within them, etc... all that require memorization.

But, still, if anyone can shed some light on how they would/have approached this, please let me know!  I'm sure I'm just missing some key understanding here.

ladlon

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 06:22:14 PM »
Hi, Pfeil!  Once again, you snuck in a post as I was posting mine.

Thanks for the profile.  I'll definitely check that out.

As I later realized, I think the one troublemaker menu is one I can easily just keep as a mouse control thing, seeing as it's just a single menu, not requiring memorization.  The other (important) commands are all in the 'locked' (consistant, non-changing) menu group, and should be no problem to code for.

But, I'll gladly check out that profile, as I'm sure I'll learn from it.  Thanks again!

ladlon

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 07:38:02 PM »
I haven't tried it yet, but from what I see of the videos for that SpeakEasy Arma3 profile, it looks great.

If it works for me, I'd be a fool to try and make my own profile, rather than use it.  It obviously has some really clever features.  Thanks again for pointing that out.