Author Topic: How can make a smooth turn in a first person shooter?  (Read 959 times)

polynut

How can make a smooth turn in a first person shooter?
« on: February 03, 2020, 07:25:19 PM »
Hi guy's me again experimenting with VA possibilities

I am a big fan of the Stalker lost alpha game and i am trying to get a good enough solution to turning my character with voice, so my very first idea was to make a toggle so saying turn left once make me turn and repeating it stop it.

It work but it doesn't stop fast enough then i tried just a simple key-press with various time amount and it kind of work better but yet not ideal so is there another way you guy's could see that would be better for that type of situation?

polynut

Re: How can make a smooth turn in a first person shooter?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 10:58:14 AM »
Anyone have suggestions for decent first person movements?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 01:48:02 PM »
Mouse movement is by its nature difficult to emulate, as it's designed to be a feedback loop where the user continuously adjusts the movement of the physical mouse to produce the desired cursor behavior.

If you are able to use other alternatives, like a joystick, eye tracking, or a mouth/lip actuated input device (though the latter would obviously be difficult to combine with voice commands), they'll likely offer a better experience than voice commands, in this case.

polynut

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 04:01:46 PM »
Mouse movement is by its nature difficult to emulate, as it's designed to be a feedback loop where the user continuously adjusts the movement of the physical mouse to produce the desired cursor behavior.

If you are able to use other alternatives, like a joystick, eye tracking, or a mouth/lip actuated input device (though the latter would obviously be difficult to combine with voice commands), they'll likely offer a better experience than voice commands, in this case.

Hi Pfeil,

I am using a gyro mouse put on with a Velcro on a flashlight head strap but turning around 180 is impossible since i cannot do the exorcism trick!

So i was trying to get a combination of voice and gyro mouse since the gyro mouse is perfect when i am looking in front of me but i cannot do the same if i want to look back.

I can probably do a few arrow keys voice commands that would turn my position 180 one shot while holding the key press or making a few command with small increments in degrees.

Will comment back if i found something that is decent.

Malic

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 12:57:45 PM »
You could try using the mouse control to move X pixels left or right.

The only issue I see with this is just that different games have different turn rates, so for example, what might be 180 in doom is not the same in Warframe.

You might need to set up different mouse 180 degree movements per game though