Author Topic: Disabling mouse movement doesn't work in Elite Dangerous  (Read 1585 times)

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
Disabling mouse movement doesn't work in Elite Dangerous
« on: December 20, 2019, 01:09:18 PM »
Hey guys. I recently started playing Elite Dangerous with voice attack. My particular disability only allows me to move my mouse for a very short amount of time (30 seconds or so). After that, weakness takes  over and my mouse pulls to the right until I rest and then I can pull it back to center. I needed a way to disable mouse movement and was very happy to find it built into VoiceAttack. However, it only works for the menus in the game. It has no effect on the mouse while actually flying the ship or navigating the FSS screens. Any ideas?

Jerry Farris
Jerry Farris, Jr.
Entrepreneur, Programmer and Disability Advocate
jerry@jerryfarris.com

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Disabling mouse movement doesn't work in Elite Dangerous
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 04:25:04 PM »
VoiceAttack will stop the cursor from moving across the screen, however from what you're reporting relative movement may still be registered by some applications.

I would assume the difference between menu and flight is that the latter uses DirectX/DirectInput, as it also would for joysticks, rather than the normal mouse API, which apparently is not affected by the method VoiceAttack uses.

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
Re: Disabling mouse movement doesn't work in Elite Dangerous
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 11:46:23 AM »
VoiceAttack will stop the cursor from moving across the screen, however from what you're reporting relative movement may still be registered by some applications.

I would assume the difference between menu and flight is that the latter uses DirectX/DirectInput, as it also would for joysticks, rather than the normal mouse API, which apparently is not affected by the method VoiceAttack uses.

Sounds like a plausible reason. Then I wonder if there is another way to block input to the mouse API? May be from a Windows perspective
Jerry Farris, Jr.
Entrepreneur, Programmer and Disability Advocate
jerry@jerryfarris.com