Author Topic: Trouble getting voice attack to work.  (Read 5336 times)

Nightfire

Trouble getting voice attack to work.
« on: September 09, 2019, 11:48:25 PM »
Firstly, apologies if I have the wrong area, I browsed through the different channels and non seemed to fit general installation issues. If this should be elsewhere then I'll happily take it there.

So to the problem.
I've followed the installation instructions, I get the sound pack in game but every instruction is met with key bind errors. On start up Voice Attack gives me the errors:
Please refer to the Missing KeyBinds report in the Customiser.
WARNING you have missing keyboard binds in Elite.

Ok, I get this. I need to do some mapping only I don't want to manually map EVERY Elite command into Voice Attack, that seems especially tedious and this seems like something the product should be able to do for me. So I do some searching and find out about the Customizer. ( Customer Feedback : your user manual needs A LOT of work in this area.)

So I look into this and I think I get it working, log into Elite and see the profile there and then it clicks ... I'm not importing my Elite commands into Voice Attack, I'm overriding my Elite commands WITH Voice attacks and that seems to me like it will alter how I manually control the game.
ie: I'm not customizing Voice Attack to my experience, Voice Attack it customizing ME to ITs experience!

So I look at little more and find plugin called bindED which is supposed to do exactly what I want, import MY keybinds into Voice Attack. Only I can't get this to work. The instructions here ( https://forum.voiceattack.com/SMF?topic=564.0 ) say to add a new command to call the plug in but if I try to add a new command I get "The author of this profile has indicated that new commands are prohibited."

So in short, all I want to do is import my key binds from Elite:Dangerous into Voice Attack but I am having issues. The interface is far from intuitive and the documentation is scarce and in some cases out of date and thus inapplicable. In all, I'm a little frustrated and I'd rather just bin Voice Attack than have to relearn Voice Attacks bindings and re-adapt my control scheme. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
Re: Trouble getting voice attack to work.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 12:47:56 AM »
HCS Voicepacks already read the bindings from Elite. bindED is not needed and should be removed.

You have 2 options. In the customiser you have a missing bind report. This lists all the binds which do not have a keyboard key assigned to them and using that report you can go into game and add them in. The 2nd option is to use the keybind creator which will create you a set of binds fully done based on the scheme you select. You can even add missing bindings to a scheme you have already customised. Instructions are on the keybind creator page. So no, we don't force you to use our bindings, we read what yours are set to and use those.
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Nightfire

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 01:23:51 AM »
Thanks for the reply.
Option 1: The missing bind report.
I was going to use a spoiler tag here but they don't seem to be supported here so see the attached file.
If you look at that file, there are an AWFUL lot of missing binds that ARE bound in Elite:Dangerous. It seems to find my bind file just fine but for some reason the binds are NOT being imported. That is a lot of commands I have to go into Elite and possibly unbind and rebind ... or something ... so Voice Attack can import those?

Option 2: Keybind Creator
This is what I was looking at earlier. Doesn't this create profiles that I then have to change to in Elite? Doesn't changing the command profile in Elite then make the binds I already have in my current command profile ... inaccessible?

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 02:03:42 AM »
we need keyboard keys to press. In Elite you can bind 2 things to each command. So you can have a joystick AND a keyboard press and we will use the assigned keyboard key.

If you select your current set of binds in the bottom right box then it will add in the missing keyboard keys without affecting your current binds. It makes a 2nd copy tagged with HCS which you will need to switch to. We don't touch your original binds, just in case.
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Nightfire

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 02:29:43 AM »
Ok, fixed this ... well I have Voice Attack starting up and NOT complaining about missing key binds. I'll have to test how this works in game later since I'm out of time now to really test this.

What I did:
There were SOME keys missing key binds and as a result Voice Attack was not importing ANY key binds ... or at least a large number of them. I gave EVERYTHING Voice Attack was complaining about a key bind (and a few more for good measure) and then the list in the missing key bind report went from 82 missing key binds to 0. As a side note, at the end of this process I had missed one and it still listed 82 missing key binds and I had to double check each of them to find the missing one. Once I fixed that, all 82 disappeared.

As a UI recommendation, since it is very unintuitive, that report should be easily accessible with a mouse click rather than just a voice command. Possibly even with some sort of indicator that it has a report if any bind errors are detected (like a red X or a number in a red circle with the number being the number of binding errors). Just a suggestion based on what I would have found useful through this.