Author Topic: Voice Attack HEARS EVERYTHING on my PC and this causes VA to work POORLY!  (Read 6311 times)

Tzeff_NL

I've done a test, which you too can do! Follow these steps:
1 - Run Voice Attack (So you can see VA's "sound detection bar" move!!!)
2 - MUTE your microphone! (but wear your headset!! To confirm you can't hear a thing!)
3 - Set your speaker/headset volume to 0%
4 - Play one of your audio or video files or watch any video on youtube!
5 - WATCH how Voice attack detects the sound, although your MIC is muted and the sound of the music or video is 0%!!!

This proves that VA is not "problematic" because of sounds "leaking" from our headset into the microphone!

There's something wrong with Voice Attack's programming that makes it not only detect your MIC, but EVERYTHING on our desktop! (even our games...although we can't hear the game with volume set to zero!)

This is the reason why so many users are having trouble with VA not working properly!

Please fix this.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Which device are you using for speech recognition? You can check this on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window, in the "Windows Speech Recognition Device" dropdown.

Do you have an application to configure your soundcard? Often one comes with the manufacturer's driver package.

You'll want to check how your audio is set up, as it's possibly something is playing to a device you're not listening to (and if it's not set as the default, the global volume controls will not affect it).

Can you right-click the speaker icon in the system tray, choose "Sounds" (or enter "mmsys.cpl" into the "Run" dialog, opened by pressing Win+R), and screenshot the "Playback" and "Recording" tabs?

Tzeff_NL

"Which device are you using for speech recognition?"
My microphone

"Do you have an application to configure your soundcard?"
No

I've checked out https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=1635.0
And I think it's "line noise."

But, to contrary of Gary's advise, I've set command weight and both confidence levels to 0 (zero) and Voice Attack is working...better, but not optimal.

I've ordered a new set of headphones just to get VA to work the way it should...without getting "line noise"...

Tzeff_NL

Hey!

I want to protest Gary's answer that Voice Attack his hearing "Line Noise"!

Because real line noise is a hium..or a hiss...like:"SHhhhhhhhhh....!" (static)

But! That's NOT the case with Voice attack! I've MUTED/switched off my microphone and played a Youtube with a man TALKING.

And guesse what:

Voice Attack can UNDERSTAND 50+ procent what he's saying and shows me it on the dispay! And that's NOT how "line noise" works!

Besides, I don't HEAR any Line noise when I set my headset audio to max and have have my PC do generic stuff, like checking files or surfing the net. In the past I did hear REAL line *noise; (*hums and buzzes) And I didn't even have to raise the volume to hear them!

So, I still demand that Gary fixes Voice Attack so it doesn't simply listening to all audio on my PC but ONLY my Microphone! VA should NOT understand what a dude is saying on a YouTube video...while my Microphone is OFF!

Understood?

EDIT - I'll add the Youtube link, so you too can see for yourself that VA listens to EVERYTHING! (not only your microphone!) And that Gary is wrong to say it's just "line noise!"

1 - Run Voice attack
2 - Mute/switch off your microphone..or even bette: DISCOONECT your MIC from your PC!
3 - Watch this video...with volume down to zero if you wish, but it doesn't matter, VA isn't supposed to hear anything from your speakers, since your MIC is disconnected...right??? (wink, wink!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7wZxqq0y_Y
4 - Watch how VA displayes nearly 50% of the words it....hears!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
If you open the Windows Speech Recognition application (search the start menu for "Windows Speech Recognition"), does this also hear Youtube videos?

Can you right-click the speaker icon in the system tray, choose "Sounds" (or enter "mmsys.cpl" into the "Run" dialog, opened by pressing Win+R), and screenshot the "Playback" and "Recording" tabs?

If the recording device you're using is receiving audio from other applications, it may be explicitly set up to do so. If you're using "What U Hear" or "Stereo Mix" (this option may have other names depending on your sound card), those devices will receive pretty much all application audio and play it back.

Tzeff_NL

If you open the Windows Speech Recognition application (search the start menu for "Windows Speech Recognition"), does this also hear Youtube videos?

Yes

If the recording device you're using is receiving audio from other applications, it may be explicitly set up to do so. If you're using "What U Hear" or "Stereo Mix" (this option may have other names depending on your sound card), those devices will receive pretty much all application audio and play it back.

I don't have that option. First time I've heard about this!

Tzeff_NL

Have you tested and confirm that VA is listening to everything on your PC...with your MIC OFF?

It can't be only me...

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
What's in the other tabs of the "Microfoon Properties" window?

Have you tested and confirm that VA is listening to everything on your PC...with your MIC OFF?

Yes, I tried that just to verify, and it doesn't.

Gary

• Administrator
TZ - Somehow on your system your audio is getting from an output device to your recording device.  If you did not specify for this to happen, it would be classified as line noise.  The Windows speech engine (and therefore, VoiceAttack) does not just collect sound out of the ether and process it.  It has to be fed through the device that the speech engine is attached to.  That is, whatever device you have specified as your recording device (in your case, 'Microfoon') is somehow being fed audio from your system.  You may need to update your audio drivers (that is where I would start first).

Have you tried temporarily disabling your playback devices?  What is the playback device below, 'Luidsprekers'?

You may also need to try a usb headset to see if that works.

This would be expected behavior if audio is being fed into the recording device - whether on purpose or by accident.  So, although an uncommon issue, it's not out of reason to think it could happen to anybody.  That said, this is only something that you can solve on your machine as it's outside of anything that VoiceAttack is going to be able to solve.

Tzeff_NL

"Luidsprekers" means "speakers".

Bah!

I've temporay disabled playback device. And  I my microphone stopped working and won't work anymore even after disabling all my sound hardware.

After rebooting, windows 10 re-isntalled drivers for audio but my microphone isn't not working!
And It won't work even if I install the drivers for my soundcard! (only speakers!)

I've tried unplugging, replugging...

So now I have another problem....  >:(

Tzeff_NL

It took me nearly 2 hours to get both my Speakers and microphone to work again...I am NOT gonna disable them again!

Tzeff_NL

What's in the other tabs of the "Microfoon Properties" window?

See the attachment

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Have you tried checking the "Disable microphone enhancements" option (and clicking "OK" to save)?

As Gary suggested, a USB headset could be useful to check whether the internal soundcard itself is causing this issue (as USB audio devices use their own integrated soundcard).

"Luidsprekers" means "speakers".
Gary was referring to your screenshot showing at least one additional playback device below "luidsprekers" that isn't in view.

Tzeff_NL

Wow!  :D

Just received my NEW USB gaming headset and VoiceAttack worked PERFECTLY and rapidly...the way it should!

So, the solution to my particular problem (line noise?) was "get a USB Gaming headset"!

I'm happy again!  :)