Author Topic: Trial version: "Unexpected error"  (Read 7792 times)

Kronos

Trial version: "Unexpected error"
« on: July 09, 2016, 07:20:39 AM »
Hi,

I just downloaded the free trial for VA tonight and when i closed it and tried to run as administrator (I couldn't get the commands to work in E:D so was trying either admin start up or changing to standard - i've seen these options listed as suggestions if it isn't working), it gives me the following: "sorry an unexpected error has occurred while checking how many days are left in this time-limited trial. Sorry!" I should still have 21 days left...

It gives me this message no matter how I try to start the program.

I cant now seem to start it...what should i do?

Thanks.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Trial version: "Unexpected error"
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 08:24:43 AM »
The only time that exact error will be presented is when VoiceAttack is started at one time and the system clock is changed to another time prior to that.  On a subsequent run, VoiceAttack will complain about that.  You will need to put the clock back to what it was and try running again.  Another alternative is to create and/or log in as another user on your system, as the trial is per-user.

I remember testing that feature... I was using another piece of trial software (Stardock Fences, I think) and when I changed my clock it ruined that trial ;)

Kronos

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 02:42:21 PM »
The system clock was not changed. Any other ideas?

Kronos

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 03:18:06 PM »
Seems others have had the issue without their clock bring altered. As there is delay in response time (I'm in Australia & you must be in the UK?) can you please provide more detailed solutions or multiple alternatives. Every day that goes by is another day I lose on my trial to determine whether I want to purchase this software.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/voiceattack/8D6NiL3O6uo

Thank you.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 04:27:04 PM »
Did you change the locale on your machine by chance?  The code for checking this is rather simple, and it's all done locally (no time server).  Somehow, VoiceAttack is thinking you had started it at one date/time and then started it again prior to that date/time.

Unfortunately, I don't have a way to restart or change the trial and there is not much more I can suggest to you, other than to log in as another user on your machine.  Sorry about that!

Kronos

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 04:36:47 PM »
Date and time still showing UTC+0930 as it was before.

Will an uninstall/ reinstall work you think? Or should i just stop being a tight-arse and pay for it?   ;D

Kronos

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 04:47:38 PM »
Did you change the locale on your machine by chance?  The code for checking this is rather simple, and it's all done locally (no time server).  Somehow, VoiceAttack is thinking you had started it at one date/time and then started it again prior to that date/time.

Reinstall didn't work (as expected). Can you explain the above please and I'll try it.

EDIT: Changing user acct didn't work. This is a little disappointing, i was looking forward to trialing this... :(
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 05:04:44 PM by Kronos »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 08:32:42 PM »
I have released a beta version of VoiceAttack that should solve your problem.  This version is the same as the one that was released the other day, just without the time constraint.

The beta can be downloaded here:  http://www.voiceattack.com/beta

Kronos

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 07:36:33 PM »
This works! Thank you, I shall be purchasing this along with a voice pack from HCS.

Really appreciate your efforts to find a solution! Thank you!