Author Topic: Looping back to Voice Processing  (Read 2367 times)

Mike308

Looping back to Voice Processing
« on: March 09, 2019, 09:27:34 PM »
It has been mentioned a few times over the years, with Gary sharing that voice filters were nigh unto a discipline by themselves, and Pfeil having cracked the hood on EDDI's single slider-based "voice processing" setting that he shared here:  https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=526.msg3822#msg3822

If a processing effect is not feasible within VA itself (happily correct me if that has changed for any reason), would anybody familiar with EDDI share if non-ED command sets can be run through EDDI for no reason other than the voice processing?  I am a Star Citizen player but moreover I've been using VA to do a lot of other non-game functions. I'm happy with my Ivona Emma and Amy voices, but when I listen to clips from EDDI on YouTube, it strikes my ear that a very low reverb effect setting in EDDI does a nice job of smoothing the voice, and I do simply like the sound.

I tried playing with MorphVox as an inline filter but, possibly due to limited knowledge, failed rather miserably at getting that to work. My only other thought would be to contact the creator of EDDI and see if he would be interested in releasing just the voice filter as a stand-alone plugin. But I'll happily use EDDI if it can simply reverb everything that VA says.

Thanks all!

Mike308

Re: Looping back to Voice Processing
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 06:37:46 PM »
Well, absent any replies I dug further into this and thought I'd share what I found, if only to save someone else the bother later on.

1. EDDI apparently has its own speech engine; this explains why they can do the reverb-style voice processing internally.

2. Yes, you can pass commands thru EDDI to get the voice processing effect. Pfeil has some past replies on the subject on this forum. But if you are not using EDDI to play elite dangerous, those steps seems a bit cumbersome. Also, it seemed to me that the responsiveness slowed down a fair bit for me; your mileage may vary.

Bottom line: if you absolutely had to have that voice processing, EDDI can give it to you, but at a cost in response time and in re-coding your commands to run thru an External Plugin.

The other angle I examined was seeing if Morph Vox Pro could ingest the voice audio from the Microsoft TTS engine and apply a real-time distortion just as it would if you were speaking into a microphone. MFR Screaming Bee told me there was no way for their software to capture the TTS audio. Oh-for-two on trying to overlay a very soft bit of reverb on the Ivona voice (which to my ear just smoothed it all out and actually sounded more human).