Author Topic: ALT key inside a command can accidentally delete the profile  (Read 1783 times)

Rivermonster

ALT key inside a command can accidentally delete the profile
« on: February 16, 2019, 02:38:39 PM »
Hi,

My profile keeps disappearing from VA and I have just figured out why. It contains a command that starts with ALT D followed by Enter. The  command is set for "Active window". The problem is that sometimes when testing I have forgotten to first put the focus on the window I want and so instead it starts with the focus on the VA window. It seems that ALT D is a keyboard access key for the "Delete Profile" command, so when doing this it has been deleting the profile. (Similarly, other ALT key combinations do other things with the profile).

I consider this a bug because it happens even though  "Block potentially harmful profile actions" is set for the very profile that is deleting itself!

Note that I cannot use the workaround of specifying the exact target window in the commands because of other technical reasons not related with VA.

Thanks

Adrian

Gary

• Administrator
Re: ALT key inside a command can accidentally delete the profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 04:10:47 PM »
Well, we can't consider that a bug as you've effectively made a command that targets the active window and follows the steps to delete a command right up through the confirmation ;)  Just like if you had added all the actions to VA to open up Word and delete all the contents from your document - it's doing EXACTLY what you've told it to do.

Also, 'blocking potentially harmful profile actions' does not pertain to commands you create yourself - again, VA is doing EXACTLY what you are telling it to do.

I *can* look at ways to prevent this - if it's simple (that is, it's easy to code and it doesn't interfere with the normal operation of VA that users have become used to over the years), I can get it in right away.  Otherwise, I cannot offer any kind of ETA as this is the very first time this has come up in like almost 10 years ;)

A workaround for now would be to check the {ACTIVEWINDOWTITLE} token and see if it is, 'VoiceAttack' - bail out of the command if it is.

Rivermonster

Re: ALT key inside a command can accidentally delete the profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 10:48:43 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Gary. I will just make sure to back up my profile more regularly. I guess now that I know what is happening it is not so likely to recur anyway.

Cheers

Adrian