Author Topic: Noise gate/ Voice sensitivity limit  (Read 4448 times)

samisundman

Noise gate/ Voice sensitivity limit
« on: February 15, 2019, 07:56:38 AM »
I tired to search the forum and didn't find any mention of this.
My idea is would it be possible to have an option to adjust at which volume level VA starts to listen?
Like in many voice chat/communication software there is an adjustment for when the software "opens" the mic.
I use VA with a wireless headset in VR a lot, and am somewhat annoyed that VA often "recognizes" my sighs or just exhaling as a command (especially with HCS Voicepacks for Elite Dangerous).
So I was curious if this would be a possible addition to all-around great piece of software VA is?

I mean I CAN get that option activated from the 3rd party software for my headset (Razer), but that said software seems to just cause other issues, so I'd rather not use that at all, if possible.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Noise gate/ Voice sensitivity limit
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 10:08:00 AM »
If your microphone is overly sensitive, there are a few things you can try to mitigate this, currently:

Turning down the overall microphone volume(and disabling any volume boost options) in the control panel

Decreasing the "Command Weight" option in the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack "Options" window

Increasing the "Minimum Confidence Level" option in the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack "Options" window

You may also want to read the "I'm not saying anything but VoiceAttack keeps hearing things" section of this topic.

If it's picking up sighs and exhaling specifically, you may want to reposition the microphone relative to your nose and mouth. Even with a windscreen/pop filter that'll get picked up pretty loud(making a minimum volume level less effective at preventing this).

samisundman

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 01:53:33 AM »
If your microphone is overly sensitive, there are a few things you can try to mitigate this, currently:

Turning down the overall microphone volume(and disabling any volume boost options) in the control panel

Helps a bit, but doesn't remove the issue.

Decreasing the "Command Weight" option in the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack "Options" window

Increasing the "Minimum Confidence Level" option in the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack "Options" window

Still it keeps picking up my "sighs" and if I further tweak the values, it stops recognizing all-together.

You may also want to read the "I'm not saying anything but VoiceAttack keeps hearing things" section of this topic.

No ambient noise in the room. I actually have my VR setup in a completely different room that the computer is in.
Also, no speech engine "training" available in my Windows, since the language is different from default english. (FYI, I find this odd that even with other language in Windows you can't train the speech engine in English.)

If it's picking up sighs and exhaling specifically, you may want to reposition the microphone relative to your nose and mouth. Even with a windscreen/pop filter that'll get picked up pretty loud(making a minimum volume level less effective at preventing this).

It's a headset mic. A flexible one. I've even turned it "backwards", so it's basically pointing to back of my ear, still picks up me exhaling.

samisundman

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 02:38:11 AM »
Ok, I seem to have managed to minimize the issue by setting the mic level extremely low (below 25%)