Author Topic: Unable to install english speech package. German Win10  (Read 2321 times)

Ardente

Unable to install english speech package. German Win10
« on: July 27, 2018, 04:58:40 PM »
Struggling since hours to install the English Speech Package for Windows 10 Home.
My system is in german with the german speech recognition.. which sucks for VA and ENG commands.

I changed my Region, Language and Keyboard Language etc.
Checked the Options for the ENG US and ENG UK keyboard.. no further options for Speech.
Checked 'Optional Feature'. Nothing to add there.

Even tried stopping and restarting the Window Update Service, so It's forced to search for further updates.

https://imgur.com/a/N4U7E3Y

Thanks!

EDIT: Just upgraded to Win10 Pro, because someone told me that Home is unable to update the Speech engine further.
Still unable to get ENG speech files :/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:58:14 PM by Ardente »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Unable to install english speech package. German Win10
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 02:50:51 AM »
Have you added "English (United States)" as a language to your system?

It'd be under "Region und Sprache", which you didn't screenshot.

In English it's under "Preferred languages", and there's a "+" button to add new ones. The list that pops up when you click that "+" should show you which languages you can add, and which features they include.

Ardente

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 03:05:27 AM »
English (UK) and English (US), both added with the '+'. It's the second screenshot :D
And yes. I changed the PC location to UK and even US. Both do not give me more options to add. It's just blank.

But now I have another issue. I tried to uninstall the US and UK packages via 'lpksetup', which worked.. well, but now im unable to install them again. Windows does indeed recognize, that there are Language packages available from the Options menu, but It doesn't even start to download them. It's freezing for a second (the download progress bar, not windows) and stop trying to download. Then the button for 'Download' popsup again.

Tried to restore it to a an older state. Didn't help :/

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 05:46:32 AM »
Ah, now I see. It looks different because on my machine there's a "Language Options" section above the "Keyboards" section containing handwriting and speech options.

Have you tried installing the language pack(s) again using lpksetup, instead of the GUI?

Ardente

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 06:16:11 AM »
Yea, I tried. https://imgur.com/a/ZX7S2zT unable to install the language on the PC. Same for both. US and UK ENG.

EDIT:
Im just going to wipe my SSD and reinstall the OS, since It's based on Win7 - just upgraded to Win10 Home and then to Win10 Pro. Let's hope that's going to work.

EDIT2: Reinstalling the OS worked. Now I'm able to use the US and UK speech engines :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 05:07:28 PM by Ardente »