Author Topic: VA on different logged in users, file locations?  (Read 2273 times)

Bumble B

• Bumble B Gaming
VA on different logged in users, file locations?
« on: June 29, 2018, 08:45:32 AM »
Hi there another little question which I'm trying to see if there is a quicker way of doing.

I've just made another user on my windows system so that I can run 2 different accounts of Elite Dangerous at the same machine.

With alot of my scripts I have VA writting .txt files to my documents folder and with all the .txt files i have its taking forever to adjust my VA scripts to write to the right .txt files in the new documents folder.

Example:
C:\Users\First User\Documents\Test.txt

C:\Users\Second user\Documents\Test.txt

Is there a way so that I can Export my Profile and install on another user that will point to whichever current user is logged in at the time with the file structure intact?

Hope I've explained it clearly?
--
CMDR Bumble B ö7
ASUS P6TD Deluxe, Intel i7 960 @ 3.2GHz, 12Gb G.Skill, Windows 7 SP1 (64bit), ASUS Geforce GTX 970 Strix (4Gb), ThrustMaster T-Flight HOTAS X, Cosair Void RGB USB Gaming Headset, TrackIR, EDDI, Voice Attack, ED Engineer

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VA on different logged in users, file locations?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 09:19:43 AM »
You can use the "%USERPROFILE%" environment variable, which point to the active user's directory(E.G. "C:\Users\First User"), to dynamically set the path for your text files.

You actions would look something like this:
Code: [Select]
Write (do not overwrite), 'test' to file '%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Test.txt'
Set Text [test] to [%USERPROFILE%\Documents\test.txt]

You'll still have to adjust your profile(though you could export it and do a find-replace in the .vap), but you should only have to do so once.

Bumble B

• Bumble B Gaming
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 10:53:29 AM »
You can use the "%USERPROFILE%" environment variable, which point to the active user's directory(E.G. "C:\Users\First User"), to dynamically set the path for your text files.

You actions would look something like this:
Code: [Select]
Write (do not overwrite), 'test' to file '%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Test.txt'
Set Text [test] to [%USERPROFILE%\Documents\test.txt]

You'll still have to adjust your profile(though you could export it and do a find-replace in the .vap), but you should only have to do so once.

Thanks for that, is it good or bad that my .vap is nearly 15Mb in size? :/
--
CMDR Bumble B ö7
ASUS P6TD Deluxe, Intel i7 960 @ 3.2GHz, 12Gb G.Skill, Windows 7 SP1 (64bit), ASUS Geforce GTX 970 Strix (4Gb), ThrustMaster T-Flight HOTAS X, Cosair Void RGB USB Gaming Headset, TrackIR, EDDI, Voice Attack, ED Engineer

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 12:02:24 PM »
A large profile isn't necessarily bad, though you'll probably see long load times.

As long as VoiceAttack can load and/or import it, you can keep it the way it is, but I'd recommend keeping backups just in case(as a general rule, really).

You may also want to consider pruning unused commands, or command phrases you never speak(if you have many).