Author Topic: VA + FFXIV ACT integration possible?  (Read 2758 times)

Learwolf

VA + FFXIV ACT integration possible?
« on: September 25, 2017, 03:07:25 AM »
Howdy all.

I'm not sure if anyone here has played FFXIV (and for that matter, even used the external third party program known as ACT/Advance Combat Tracker) but I was trying to rack my brain to see if I could figure out a way to make the two applications (VA & ACT) talk to each other. Mainly, exchange/synchronize variables between them both.

If anyone would be interested in looking into some stuff related with me, it'd be greatly appreciated!

It seems both programs can use C# scripts, so I'm assuming that would be the best way to tackle the solution. I guess my real question is, how would I go about scripting in C# for VA to look at ACT's variables and mimic them within VA?

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
Re: VA + FFXIV ACT integration possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »
This is very interesting. One of the central obstacles preventing VA from being even smarter is that it doesn't know what's going on within our applications. We give it a command, it does stuff for us. It can store information within variables or files (like through VAExtensions) if we tell it to do so, but it doesn't have a way to learn or obtain application information by itself.

Enter this Advanced Combat Tracker (ACT) tool (for certain MMOs it looks like). I don't fully understand the extent of the functionality of ACT, but it is possible to have VA use an external library for use with its C# (or VB.NET) inline functions. As an example I was working on integrating AutoHotkey with VA by utilizing the excellent AutoHotkey.Interop library. I got it to function properly (though I haven't had time to share with the community due to other projects) like so:

...and then put the associated library in the same folder as the VA executable:

From there it is then just a matter of using the library within the C# environment.

I suggest you check out the VA Inline Functions section to get better acquainted with how to make various C# functionality work with VA.

Learwolf

Re: VA + FFXIV ACT integration possible?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 08:02:34 AM »
Thanks for the info, will definitely look more into the inline functions.