Author Topic: Setting text from file containing a semi colon  (Read 2976 times)

arkemiffo

Setting text from file containing a semi colon
« on: August 19, 2017, 07:58:31 AM »
I'm trying to build a plugin at the moment, and from what I can tell, my plugin is doing what it's supposed to (although very, VERY rudimentary from my final vision).

It basically grabs some information, dumps it down to a text file in the same folder as the plugin is located.
Now I want this text file to be read back to me through voice synthesis in VoiceAttack, and this is working largely ok. There's just one issue.
If the text contains a semi-colon, the first time I run the command, it reads out everything AFTER the semi-colon, ignoring the start of the text.
The second time I run the same command (same plugin context), it reads out everything BEFORE the semi-colon.

Don't know what happens if there's more of the little buggers in the text though.

The solution is fairly simple. In my plugin I just replace semi-colon with a comma, but it took me a good hour before I realized this was the problem.

I could not find anything in the help file about this. Is there anymore characters I need to be on the lookout for?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Setting text from file containing a semi colon
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 09:11:30 AM »
Yeah... the text-to-speech processing through the plugin works the same way as the text-to-speech processing command action.  It will split on semicolons and pick a random value from the split selection.  Also, the processing *should* handle dynamic sections, which is stuff between square brackets - [].  See the section labeled, 'Say Something with Text-To-Speech' in the help document for more info on that.

arkemiffo

Re: Setting text from file containing a semi colon
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »
Oh, nice. Thanks for the information.
I thought it was some issue in what text was used in the application, not in the speech-engine.

That helps me a lot. :)