Author Topic: INVERTED Voice Warnings  (Read 3035 times)

Incryptx

INVERTED Voice Warnings
« on: July 09, 2017, 11:29:18 PM »
Hello

In ED horizon, (and not that I am an unskilled pilot), every once in a while, I find myself "up-side-down" when on a planet, thinking I'm headed for the stars, when actually I went 180 degrees over and was inverted without realizing it.

This also happens near stations and ports, when you are bothered by someone or something and lose track of your spacial orientation of a moment, you can go inverted and have the space station or port just above your ship and not realize it, before hitting the boost and crashing.

On one instance, I was taking off from a planet side space port, pulled back to 90 degrees, lost focus due to a menu screen popping up at that second, and by the time I cleared the menu, I pulled past 90 degrees and the HUD flipped (as it should have), but I did not immediately catch the fact that I was now inverted. When I hit my boost and pulled up, (since I was inverted), I plowed my $4M ship right into the ground. Boom.

Granted there is the HUD and ladders for this, but if you look at your HUD in level flight and then close your eyes and invert (as a test), when you then look at the HUD, for a moment, your confused until you scan the HUD and get your bearings.

So, each time this happens to me, I immediately blame the computer and voiceattack for not warning me I was "inverted" (compared to the closest stationary port or planet surface) or "up-side-down".

It would be nice to include a few voice warnings. either from EDDI or VoiceAttack, which warn you when your ship is "in motion" and "inverted" or "up-side-down" when flying close to stationary objects or a planet side surface.

Of course, the EDDI or VA needs to be smart about being "inverted" or "up-side-down" and not depend soley on what the artificial horizon or AH ladder is doing. Several other criteria may need to be met before a warning sounds.

Which brought me to another idea in all of this, and that is a speechpack containing a ships set of "warnings, whistles and bells", to warn of hazardous conditions, to sound the hour, or relays chattering, or droid type sounds.

Just a thought.

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
Re: INVERTED Voice Warnings
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 02:01:13 AM »
well this one is game specific rather than a feature for VA itself.

What you are asking for in Elite isn't possible I'm afraid. Whilst the game does give us some information about what is happening in the game, speed and orientation are not reported to us.
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Incryptx

Re: INVERTED Voice Warnings
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:56:21 AM »
Hello

Well I did not know what level of info VA could read or have access to, but there is "text" which appears in the "messages" window stating "fire zone exited" followed by "fire zone entered", if you intended to leave, but flipped 180 and inverted, were headed back to the station's zones. Not that this is inclusive in any way, but just a bit of text to consider when appearing together. As well, we do get a "proximity alarm" in flashing read lights on the dash, but this is not intuitive in most cases.

I would like to see the AH (artificial horizon) Ladder turn from one color to another, say "white" to "red" indicating an "inverted state", since none of this appears unless the landing suite is active for planet side notifications. So, this may be a good suggestion (although not a bug) for Elite.

Or, Elite and Frontier could do it the old fashion way and just hang a chain and cross from the rear view mirror, and when your inverted, the chain and cross are always pointing to the largest mass or center of gravity pulling on your ship. Like the bobble heads, but a more accurate pointer of which way is up.

Frontier could market them as glitter (like bobble heads) to hang in your cockpit, but a smart pilot would know their value.

I still think a VP of a ships "Warnings, Whistles, Clocks and Bells" (like on a vintage British sailing ship at sea) would be a good selling voice pack product.

Be well.