Author Topic: VA is hearing things  (Read 10125 times)

Ardlife

VA is hearing things
« on: June 23, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »
This is so annoying and stopping me playing Elite, the whole reason I bought VA
Yesterday upgraded VA to 1.6.6 on steam and now it keeps thinking it hears the word "mark" which with my HCS voicepack keeps telling me "unable to comply", this is every 10 sec to every minute. In the past when I put oculus over eyes it thinks it hears "Thanks" and says you're welcome (I can live with that)
Where is it getting these sounds from? I don't think it's the voicepack as it happens using "my profile" nothing to do with voicepack
I have used the volume mixer to make all apps 0
I use oculus headset for mic and playback
Driving me insane, any ideas?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: VA is hearing things
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 04:18:07 PM »
You have some form of line noise that the speech engine is, 'hearing' as a command.  The closest match before was, 'thanks' but now the closest match is, 'mark'.  This is really outside of VoiceAttack's control, as it's going to boil down to either a hardware or driver issue on your system.

Some things you can try: 
-Update your sound drivers.  This is a culprit a lot of times.
-Try a different mic.  A quality usb headset is recommended.
-Crank up your confidence level to try to get around the problem.  The global confidence setting is on the options screen, however, if you have a command (such as, 'mark') you can set the confidence level there to a higher value.  Also, if your command weight on the options screen is set high (above 75), VA will attempt to make a, 'best guess' as to what you are saying... if it's high enough, a cough will result in a command execution.

Hope that helps!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 07:11:08 PM »
-Crank up your confidence level to try to get around the problem.  The global confidence setting is on the options screen, however, if you have a command (such as, 'mark') you can set the confidence level there to a higher value. 
You can enable the "Show Confidence Level" option in the "Recognition" tab of VoiceAttack's "Options" screen, which will display the confidence level for each recognized command in the log, if you want to get a feel for which number would be appropriate.

Ardlife

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 04:18:07 PM »
Thx for replies
Drivers all up to date and I have been messing around with confidence and command weight but to no avail.  The confidence it displays when as far as I am concerned there is silence has been as much as 94.
Will look at trying a headset instead of the rift microphone (which I think is really good) and also look at (if possible as I bought through steam) of going back to a previous version of VA

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 01:24:13 AM »
going back to a previous version of VA
VoiceAttack gets the information about what you're saying from the Microsoft Speech Recognition Engine, so recognition issues are not something VoiceAttack itself has much to do with.

You can try setting up a fresh speech profile; Unless you have "adaptive recognition" disabled, the Microsoft Speech Recognition engine will attempt to improve the accuracy of speech recognition by constantly updating your speech profile with what it thinks are improvements. However, this can equally result in less accurate recognition.

You could also try Speech Platform 11, which is not tailored to your specific voice, but has resulted in better recognition according to some VoiceAttack users(your results may vary).

mIRCon

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 02:52:16 AM »
Do you have, by any chance, some music or audio/video playing in the background? Even on other output device  (like youtube on speakers or headphones, or media player etc)  at the time VA keeps "hearing things"?
Do you just breathe and false detection occurs or it's mid gaming with some sound playing (fighting, docking etc) or it's a complete silence both in room and on phones when "mark" happens all of sudden?

Rolz

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 02:01:46 AM »
I recently downloaded through steam to give it a go with my Rift and iRacing, VA also hears things... Will try cranking confidence level and see how it goes.

Rolz

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 03:49:18 AM »
Hello back again... I am using the following settings in recognition

But the biggest thing that sorted my issue is setting up push to hear, instead of always on... strange why this application doesn't recognise wheel button presses... so I had to configure joytokey first then set that up as the button it would recognise for it to work...

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 08:01:17 AM »
strange why this application doesn't recognise wheel button presses...
It should. Did you add it as a joystick using the "Joystick Options" in the VoiceAttack "Options" menu, first?

Rolz

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 04:22:06 PM »
It should. Did you add it as a joystick using the "Joystick Options" in the VoiceAttack "Options" menu, first?

No!  :-[
Will try tonight  ;D

Rolz

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 06:43:53 AM »
ok so far all is now working a treat for me!
I just have to now memorise all my iRacing commands :)