Author Topic: Final Star Trek piece  (Read 2656 times)

Stryder

Final Star Trek piece
« on: June 21, 2017, 10:06:53 AM »
I have a "noisey" environment.  So I use the "Override listening if my spoken command begins with:" "computer" option.

In Star Trek, when the actor says "computer" the computer responds with a "beep" signifying that it's awaiting input.  I'd like to have that ability.  I'd like the software to start listening AFTER the sound is played so that if the beep (or sound) is a longer one, it's not still making noise while the computer is waiting.  An additional checkbox to make the computer "start listening for Override after 'x' sound/event is played"?

Please?  This is the last step to bring the Enterprise AI into my home!  Thank you!

My apologies if this has already been discussed, I didn't see anything.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Final Star Trek piece
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 11:05:22 AM »
Hi, Stryder.

Instead of using the override, you might want to just create a single command with, 'when i say' set to, 'computer'.  The first item in the list should be, 'start listening'.  Each of your executed commands would need to have a, 'stop listening' action in them, however (right-click, 'duplicate' helps with this).

I occasionally get requests like this one, where the want is to have essentially a command that is executed every time that a command is recognized.  It's a great idea in theory that I think about from time to time, but in practice it breaks down since (as I often quote), 'it's great right up until it's not'.  You have to have a lot of interface to get around the, 'global' feature.  Kind of squirrels out from there.

Stryder

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 12:15:54 PM »
Interesting!  Ok, I'll come up with something using that approach.  Bummer that it's not easy to implement, but I'm not terribly surprised.  Thanks for the quick response!

Is there a "started Listening" flag that I could use?  In other words, a command that was triggered by the event of coming out of listening "standby"?  -just wondering, it's probably better your way for some other reasons.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:19:02 PM by Stryder »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 12:57:54 PM »
If you are familiar with VA's tokens, you can use, '{ISLISTENINGOVERRIDE}' within a command to determine whether or not it was invoked by using the listening override from profile settings.  If you want to check within your command if listening is turned on, you can use, '{STATE_LISTENING}'.  See the section labeled, 'Text (and Text-To-Speech) Tokens' within the VoiceAttack help document for more info.