Author Topic: Docking macro in Elite Dangerous  (Read 7211 times)

Kaaihn

Docking macro in Elite Dangerous
« on: June 19, 2017, 04:15:19 PM »
I'm trying to setup a docking macro for Elite Dangerous. I've bound keyboard commands to all the relevant functions. I can press the keys in the right order and it will request docking.

But, when I go to create the macro, it's bugging out in the craziest way. In troubleshooting I've found where the bug starts, so it's half a macro at the moment that recreates the bug every time. What happens is that it opens the target panel, advances to contacts, selects the station, and then selects down twice, enter, close target panel. The screwy thing is that the macro commands stop at selecting station. I cannot for the life of me figure out how it is moving the selector down twice and executing the selection and then closing the panel.

For reference, the keybindings I chose are (I use a hotas, so these are just secondary out of the way binds for VA to use):
Open Target panel: t
Advance target panel window: =
Execute menu item: \

In game (headlook that opens panels is disabled as I use VR) if I type t==\, the target window opens, advances to contacts, selects the station. Great. Trigger that same sequence from a VA macro and it also adds down, down, execute, close target window. How?! Why?!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Docking macro in Elite Dangerous
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 04:54:48 PM »
Which keyboard layout do you use? Symbols can be especially problematic to emulate on a non-US layout.

You may need to use the equivalent key location, E.G. on a QWERTZ layout you'd send "Y" to press "Z" ingame.

Kaaihn

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 08:45:39 PM »
Its a US keyboard. I changed the menu down bind to 'o' for testing. After fiddling with pause timing more, I can get it to reliably bring up the station name under contacts. Where it fails is moving the selector down once. Its moving it twice, even with no release delay at all. I thought I could get cute with it and use the up command instead, since that would loop it, and 2 spaces in that direction would get me where I want it. Oddly, its still moving down 2 with the up keybinding.

http://imgur.com/a/l2oDJ
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:04:51 PM by Kaaihn »

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 11:01:00 PM »
is this using an HCS profile?

Kaaihn

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 07:39:33 AM »
is this using an HCS profile?

No, this is just plain voiceattack downloaded and installed. I've added in various commands as I've wanted them and got my bindings how I'm used to them at this point. I have purchased the astra hcs pack, but it's never been installed because I havnt wanted to redo a bunch of bindings for no reason. I would hate to have to do all that just to get a docking macro working.

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 05:10:43 PM »
For the past few months, quite a few of the HCS packs have been updated so that the user can use their own set of keyboard binds in ED, and have VA press the correct keys. This is with the addition of the bindED plugin.

As far as I am aware, I haven't had this issue (of double tapping) happening for a long time. The only time I have had this actually happen though is if I have VA set to press a key, AND also have a VA key shortcut set to the same key AND have keyboard shortcuts enabled.

If you don't prevent passthrough (with keyboard shortcuts enabled), then you will get double tapping of keys (or 2 keys at the same time if VA action and shortcut are different).

Antrys

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 07:51:33 PM »
You're holding the keys down too long.
In that screen ED has a function that holding the key down scrolls through the list.

So, for instance, if you didn't know what was currently selected you could hold your "up key" for two seconds and it would jump to the top of the list.  Change your key-downs to no longer than .2 seconds, and use only pauses for timing.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 07:55:58 PM by Antrys »