Author Topic: VA Regular and Steam  (Read 6124 times)

terrydew

VA Regular and Steam
« on: March 25, 2017, 10:00:05 AM »
Can you have both versions installed on the same computer, if you buy both?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VA Regular and Steam
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »
I don't know what Gary's plans are concerning this, however based on the demo, currently both versions will use the same profile database but different general settings. They can both be installed, but only one should be running at a time, and they're not fully independent.

Though, aside from possible future steam-related features that would require steam version exclusivity, the two versions are essentially the same, and do the same things, so I'm not sure what the utility of owning both would be.

terrydew

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 11:20:41 AM »
I don't know what Gary's plans are concerning this, however based on the demo, currently both versions will use the same profile database but different general settings. They can both be installed, but only one should be running at a time, and they're not fully independent.

Though, aside from possible future steam-related features that would require steam version exclusivity, the two versions are essentially the same, and do the same things, so I'm not sure what the utility of owning both would be.

Concern that Steam version becomes restricted because of Valve rules and not work on non Steam apps or third party plugins  etc. Running independently would be the best of both worlds and the costs of owning both is nominal.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 11:54:23 AM »
Both versions will work installed at the same time.  I have probably ten different builds for various reasons (including Steam).

To recap and validate what Pfeil mentioned:

It's going to ultimately be the same application, with the exception of *possibly* some Steam-specific stuff down the road.  There will never be a restriction to access Steam-only games from VA.  If that ever becomes a thing, there would be a completely separate product.  I do not see this ever happening, though.

The .dat file is shared among all the instances (there is only one VoiceAttack.dat file unless you use the -datadir command line option... can't remember if there was a lingering problem with that.  See help doc for more details).

The settings are per install, so you'll have different options for each.

VA is set up to run one instance at a time, again as Pfeil had pointed out.

Tkael

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 12:27:15 PM »
Gary, I posted a couple of questions related to the different versions on the Steam forums:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/583010/discussions/0/135512625244389748/

I'm also intrigued by the your comment on possible Steam-specific features. With the understanding that there are no ETAs or guarantees, what kinds of features you considering for the Steam version?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 12:45:06 PM »
Gary, I posted a couple of questions related to the different versions on the Steam forums
Quote from: Tkael
- The stand-alone VA client can be set to run on startup. Is it possible to do the same with the Steam version (or automatically start as soon as Steam is running)?
Quote from: Gary
The order that things are launched may affect that.
There is a commandline parameter that instructs Steam to start an application, which will work either on the running instance, or start Steam if it's not already running:
Code: [Select]
steam.exe -applaunch 583010I'm not sure how this would behave on startup if Steam is set to run on startup already(as Gary pointed out).

sutex

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 06:16:55 PM »
So what's the point of a steam VA and why would you want it  ?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
Some people just prefer it.  They don't have to maintain a registration key, they can launch VA from Steam, they can purchase from an alternate source, etc.

sutex

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 09:13:56 PM »
AH :) he's me trying NOT to run steam lol