Author Topic: Table of Contents for the manual  (Read 3409 times)

sthompson

Table of Contents for the manual
« on: July 19, 2017, 01:52:03 PM »
The VA manual is now over 170 pages and difficult to navigate by search alone. Could you add a table of contents (ideally hyperlinked) so that we can get to a section of interest a bit more easily?

Thanks.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Table of Contents for the manual
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:07:54 PM »
There used to be an index in the .pdf that linked to the main sections at least. Going back through the versions that are still up for download, v1.6.2 is the last one that came with that.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:23:16 PM »
I can't remember the last time I've used an index or table of context with a digital item, since CTRL + F seems to work a lot faster.  I'll look at what it takes to put it back (no ETA, though).

sthompson

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 01:33:38 PM »
Control-F works well if you are searching for something very specific, but is not so good when you are not quite sure what you are looking for. I made the request specifically because I am frustrated with control-F producing (a) too many irrelevant hits; and (b) forcing you to go through them in sequence. At least that's the case with Acrobat Reader. if you want to know what are the valid token formats for example, searching for "token" is a hopeless way to proceed. It produces over 300 hits throughout the document. The document already has a reasonable structure so that a TOC that would get me to the right part of the document would be helpful.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 04:33:22 PM »
Ah!  Looks like bookmarks got turned off.  I've turned them back on.  You'll be able to view the bookmarks going forward.  Attached is the latest beta help doc (it's mostly the same as the release).  Thanks for the heads-up!