Author Topic: -toggledark and High Contrast Themes  (Read 5748 times)

Omnidon

-toggledark and High Contrast Themes
« on: February 27, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »
Hi

You may recall I posted an issue last year about VoiceAttack's interface becoming nearly unusable in in Windows High Contrast Themes:
http://voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=73

Today I noticed that you now mention an experimental "Dark Mode" feature at the end of the Quick Start Guide:
Command line parameter, '-toggledark' was added as a test.  Puts the main screen in, 'dark mode'.  Calling this from the command line always affects the running process, so, you can have a shortcut on your desktop that just changes the running instance's color mode.

While this parameter is a big improvement for much of the interface, the buttons from the main screen of VoiceAttack still disappear while in High Contrast mode (see attached screenshot).
The alternating row colors on the profile command list also don't work correctly in High Contrast mode (see second screenshot).

Also, I should note that -toggledark does not appear to work on the running process. Both from the command prompt and from the shortcut target line, it will remain in light mode unless closed and relaunched.

I'm currently running v1.6.1.32 (prerelease)

Thanks for your hard work.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:19:54 PM by Omnidon »

Gary

• Administrator
Re: -toggledark and High Contrast Themes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 12:29:29 PM »
'Dark Mode' seems to toggle the running instance from my machine (Windows 10 64 bit).  Make sure that your shortcut target looks like this (note the quotes):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe" -toggledark

High-contrast mode is not supported in version 1 of VoiceAttack.  Hoping version 2 will offer theming, scaling and languages (but that is way down the line).  Sorry about that!

Omnidon

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 11:25:25 AM »
'Dark Mode' seems to toggle the running instance from my machine (Windows 10 64 bit).  Make sure that your shortcut target looks like this (note the quotes):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe" -toggledark

Yeah, that's exactly the target line of my shortcut on Win10x64.
Does nothing if the application is running. If the application is closed, -toggledark always puts it into dark mode. It's not really a problem - you don't need to change it, just thought I'd point out that it wasn't working for me the way you expected.

High-contrast mode is not supported in version 1 of VoiceAttack.  Hoping version 2 will offer theming, scaling and languages (but that is way down the line).  Sorry about that!

That's a shame. It's annoying but I can live with it for now. I don't use high contrast on my gaming PC, but it's nice to also voice control my HTPCs / media center PCs / etc that need high contrast.
Thanks anyway. ;-)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:31:10 AM by Omnidon »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 01:07:43 PM »
Does nothing if the application is running. If the application is closed, -toggledark always puts it into dark mode.
Same results on my Win7 x64 machine. "-toggledark" only works at launch, not on the running instance(v1.6.1.31).

It does work with v1.6.1.27, however. v1.6.1.30 is the only intermediate I have between them, and that also has the issue.

EDIT: Hold the phone! I checked the case on my executables: .27 is "VoiceAttack", which works, .30 and .31 are "Voiceattack", which doesn't. The case of the shortcut doesn't matter, but the case of the .exe does.

Is the handle to send window messages to looked up by a case sensitive process name?

EDIT numero dos: Also happens with "-shortcutsoff" and "-togglelistening"(which is apparently an undocumented parameter), so the handle thing seems likely.

Just to confirm, when v1.6.1.27 is renamed "Voiceattack.exe", the issue occurs with that as well.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:35:15 PM by Pfeil »

Omnidon

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 06:10:18 PM »
EDIT: Hold the phone! I checked the case on my executables: .27 is "VoiceAttack", which works, .30 and .31 are "Voiceattack", which doesn't. The case of the shortcut doesn't matter, but the case of the .exe does.

Is the handle to send window messages to looked up by a case sensitive process name?

EDIT numero dos: Also happens with "-shortcutsoff" and "-togglelistening"(which is apparently an undocumented parameter), so the handle thing seems likely.

Just to confirm, when v1.6.1.27 is renamed "Voiceattack.exe", the issue occurs with that as well.

My executable is named "VoiceAttack.exe" with normal capitalization

I just downloaded and tested .27 and it is still failing to toggle while the app is already open.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 06:26:26 PM »

I just downloaded and tested .27 and it is still failing to toggle while the app is already open.
Aha. Then the question is: Do we have two different causes presenting the same symptom, or is there an external factor at play? It's up to Gary to find the answer(I'm sure he'll have great fun in the process, too!).

Omnidon

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 10:57:46 PM »

Aha. Then the question is: Do we have two different causes presenting the same symptom, or is there an external factor at play? It's up to Gary to find the answer(I'm sure he'll have great fun in the process, too!).

Heh, true, though as I said it's definitely not an urgent fix it since it works well enough. I don't really need to be able to switch back and forth while it's open as long as switching is possible.

The main issue in this thread was the High Contrast themes that unfortunately got hit by the "v2" stick

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 11:30:11 PM »
Lol... this has been fixed.  It *was* searching for, 'starts with "VoiceAttack"...  Kind of scary how much Pfeil figures out o_O
That's some very old code... probably wouldn't be a problem with anything not, 'unofficial' (unless altered).

Great catch on that one.

The v2 stick is big... and heavy... and wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fQGPZTECYs

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 05:19:00 AM »
Kind of scary how much Pfeil figures out o_O
That's some very old code... probably wouldn't be a problem with anything not, 'unofficial' (unless altered).

Great catch on that one.

Omnidon

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 09:20:34 PM »
It *was* searching for, 'starts with "VoiceAttack"...  Kind of scary how much Pfeil figures out o_O

Sounds like he was running into a different issue. Mine was definitely named "VoiceAttack.exe" and in the default directory.