Author Topic: Crash on Startup, Microsft .NET Framework error  (Read 7914 times)

TyGeR

Crash on Startup, Microsft .NET Framework error
« on: February 10, 2017, 02:21:40 AM »
Hello,  new to this program. picked it up a few days ago and trying to get everything setup.  When I launch VA I get a Microsoft .Net Framework error.
Unhanded exception has occurred in your application.  If you could Continue the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.  Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)).

I can click continue and the program will open up but will not do anything.  When I attempt to import the Kate profile the program will stop responding and crash.  I have tried the 1.6.1.27 BETA, then uninstalled and went back to the 1.6.1. Same issue with both installs.

I'm running windows 7 64bit,  I am running VA as an admin.  I have tried to run it in different comparability modes and get the same result. The only thing I can find by searching the forums is something similar from a 1.5 version, but it seems like a reinstall fixed there issue.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, deleteing the VA folder after the uninstall, rebooting and reinstalling.

Would be thankful for any help.

The details are as follows

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
   at System.Speech.Internal.SapiInterop.ISpRecoGrammar.LoadDictation(String pszTopicName, SPLOADOPTIONS Options)
   at System.Speech.Internal.SapiInterop.SapiGrammar.<>c__DisplayClass5_0.<LoadDictation>b__0()
   at System.Speech.Internal.SapiInterop.SapiProxy.PassThrough.Invoke2(VoidDelegate pfn)
   at System.Speech.Internal.SapiInterop.SapiGrammar.LoadDictation(String pszTopicName, SPLOADOPTIONS options)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.RecognizerBase.LoadSapiDictationGrammar(SapiGrammar sapiGrammar, Uri uri, String ruleName, Boolean enabled, Single weight, Int32 priority)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.RecognizerBase.LoadSapiGrammar(Grammar grammar, SapiGrammar sapiGrammar, Boolean enabled, Single weight, Int32 priority)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.RecognizerBase.LoadGrammar(Grammar grammar)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.SpeechRecognitionEngine.LoadGrammar(Grammar grammar)
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain.()
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain.(Object , EventArgs )
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at ..OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain.(Message& )
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1087.0 built by: NETFXREL4STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
VoiceAttack

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Crash on Startup, Microsft .NET Framework error
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
Hello, TyGeR.

What it looks like is there is some combination of either security-prohibited or possibly corrupt speech engine files on your system.  You can *try* running a system file scan to see if it can find anything:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files

..or even a CHKDSK:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872425.aspx

It could also possibly be a corrupt profile.  Take a look at this thread:  http://voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=64.0

I hate to say it, but speech recognition facilities on Windows has no way to reinstall that I know of, and may require a full update to Windows.

TyGeR

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 04:32:03 PM »
ok, so started with the system file scan.  it did not find any integrity violations.  The Check Disk came back at 100% with no integrity violations.  Next I'll try to make a new profile but something tells me thats not going to solve it either.  Where would I go after this?

mIRCon

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 04:55:47 PM »
It really seems like permissions issue (either user, dcom or file specific access permissions)

It would be good if you could make another user on your windows and make it administrator, not just an ordinary user. Then log into windows with that user and try to start Voice Attack to see if you get the same issues.

TyGeR

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 06:02:07 PM »
mIRCon, I will give that a try. Currently I only use one profile on my PC and I believe it should be the admin profile. 

So I was going threw the speech recondition software and started getting a error of "Speech recognition could not start because the language configuration is not supported"  So now I'm working on correcting this issue and will see if this is whats giving me a problem with VA.

These are what I've tried so far, with no luck yet.

FIX 1: Add ctfmon.exe to Startup
1. Type regedit in RUN or Start menu Searchbox and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
3. In right-side pane, create a new String value with the name ctfmon and set its value to ctfmon.exe
Add_ctfmon_to_Windows_Startup.png
4. Close Registry Editor and restart your system. After reboot, you should not get the error message and Speech Recognition should start without any problem.

FIX 2: Using Speech Recognition Settings
1. Open Control Panel and click on Speech Recognition icon. Now click on "Advanced speech options" link given in left sidebar.
2. It'll open a new window. Make sure the Language is set to the correct locale and "Review documents" option is not checked.
Disable_Review_Documents_Option.png
3. Apply the changes and restart your system.

FIX 3: Using Regional Settings
1. Type intl.cpl in RUN or Start menu Searchbox and press Enter. It'll open Regional Settings window.
2. Now go to "Location" tab and change the location to something different and restart your system.
Change_Location_in_Regional_Settings.png
3. Upon reboot set the location to correct one and restart your system again.
4. Now Speech Recognition should work.

TyGeR

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 06:07:29 PM »
Ok,  so I made a new profile and deleted it, tried some stuff. made another new profile, did some more testing, deleted it.  After I made the 3rd new profile and tested some stuff it stopped giving me the error.  Now VA will launch correctly.  I dont know whats different about the 3rd profile I did, but for some reason its working.  I was able to import the KATE profile and my speech is showing up on the VA screen.

thanks for your help

mIRCon

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
Well it was related to profile permissions indeed. It could be roaming folder permissions under appdata or something related to dot.net framework issues with user profile or even DCOM activation permissions but I'm glad you sorted it out in the end.
It might be a good idea to plan Windows reinstallation if such things start happening again or time for an upgrade to new Windows in the future :)