Author Topic: How can i pause a command while it is executing command instructions?  (Read 3077 times)

jyashi

I want to have a key or command that can pause other commands. And i don't mean pause for 10 seconds pause but pause command from executing its instructions and then resume its instructions from where it left off. Its too wasteful when i have long command structures running and the only way to take back control of the PC is to stop the command altogether.

One idea i thought was to just make an arbitrary command and just check 'Do not allow other commands to run' option but i don't know if this will pause the other command or just stop it.

Also if we do not have this feature yet then can i request it be added in the next version? You guys are miracle workers so should be no problem.

jyashi

Re: How can i pause a command while it is executing command instructions?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 10:59:39 PM »
BUMP

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »
You can't natively, 'pause' other commands while a particular command is executing.  You would have to do something like this yourself, which would involve having a check between each and every action to see if the command needs to temporarily halt (loop while variable is set).  Then, you might want to have a way to indicate a level of priority in case you have a command that should never stop unless another command is run that has a higher priority.   To implement that as a feature would require something like this behind the scenes and there would be a huge time penalty applied to every action that everybody's commands would have to absorb.  Since it's a rather atypical need, it would be bad to, 'penalize' everybody's performance.  I appreciate your encouragement, but this would be better for you to implement within the commands that need it ;)

mikelimtw

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 09:42:54 AM »

One idea i thought was to just make an arbitrary command and just check 'Do not allow other commands to run' option but i don't know if this will pause the other command or just stop it.

Nice try, but I'm not sure this would work. The 'Do not allow other commands to run' would only affect commands that would try to execute after you set this status. Already running commands when this was invoked would run to conclusion. The 'Do not allow other commands to run' should only be used if you have a critical command that must be run to completion with variables or expressions that should not be changed or altered while the command is running.