Author Topic: Recognition Global Hotkey  (Read 5002 times)

Oxize

Recognition Global Hotkey
« on: February 05, 2017, 05:55:40 AM »
Installed Voiceattack yesterday for Star Citizen, and i must say, its awesome! Works great.

But i have only one problem, and that is the Recognition Global Hotkey isnt working. Whatever i try, its not switching on or off.

Ive putted it on ALT + F2 (which is default). I tried even other key combinations. Nothing is working for this hotkey. Any else experiencing this?

I am doing something wrong?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Recognition Global Hotkey
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 09:13:24 AM »
Which "When the hotkey is pressed" option did you select?

If you add a "When I press keys" trigger to any command in your profile, does it execute when you press them?

Oxize

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 10:48:12 AM »
This option:

With command, No it doesnt work either.

I think it has something to do with Keyboard Shortcuts off. Its disables it also for the Hotkey. I think Hotkeys always have an overruling factor over normal keyboard commands?

If i remove keyboardshortcuts from Verity Offline commando, i can use the Global Hotkey.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 11:08:39 AM by Oxize »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 02:37:11 PM »
The Global Hotkey (first image) is for turning listening on and off.  In your case, since, 'toggle' is selected, if you press ALT+F2 listening would first be turned off and on again with each subsequent, 'hotkey' press.

A command shortcut, or, 'When I press keys...' executes the command that it is associated with.  In this case, it always turns ON listening.  Since there is no check to see if there are conflicts (design choice), the global hotkey is executing first and then the command... which always turns listening on.

The solution would be (as you've already pointed out) is to remove the, 'start listening' command.

Hope that helps some ;)

Oxize

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »
Yes, true.

But you need to keep "Keyboardshortcuts" enabled(not talking about the command). If its disabled. It disables also the hotkeys selected in the options screen. Though this setting would overrule that function (keyboardshortcuts when disabled). Doesnt seem so.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:01:15 AM by Oxize »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 11:52:43 AM »
That button, when it has the red, 'no' symbol on it means turn off all VoiceAttack keyboard, 'intercepting' if you will.  That means that when YOU (human) press a key, VA will not intercept it and turn it into something (turns off all keyboard hooks).  It does not affect VA pressing keys in applications.

Maybe I'm just confused on what the issue is?

Oxize

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 01:43:04 PM »
I think your are confused.

The only thing i trying to tell is that that Global Hotkeys set in the options gets blocked when that "Keyboardshortcut"button is disabled. So you render the Global hotkeys useless because of that button.

With my logical thinking i would let the Global Hotkeys (only 4) in the options always overrule that button not matter what. So you can always use the global hotkeys, even when the "keyboard shortcuts" button is disabled.

You can try this by yourself. Steps to reproduce

- Click the "keyboard shortcuts" button so its disabled.
- Use the "Global recognition key", in my example ALT + F2.

Global Recognition Hotkey isnt working.

Anyway lets drop the topic after this. Its solved at my side.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 02:08:07 PM »
The only thing i trying to tell is that that Global Hotkeys set in the options gets blocked when that "Keyboardshortcut"button is disabled. So you render the Global hotkeys useless because of that button.

This is by design.  It disables ALL THE KEYS that YOU (the human) press, and does not disable keys that VA presses.  There is not a discreet button to stop intercepting this button versus that button... it stops intercepting all buttons.  The idea is that the user would like to stop having VA intercept their key presses so they can do other things (like type an email, chat with friends, write a poem, etc).  Since the listening hotkey can be any key that the user chooses, it doesn't make any sense to have a (yet another) discreet button just for preventing the starting and stopping of listening via hotkey.

This is for the benefit of others reading along (it's why we have a forum).