Author Topic: EDDI for Star Citizen?  (Read 8041 times)

Mike308

EDDI for Star Citizen?
« on: February 11, 2017, 11:30:23 PM »
I have been coming up to speed on the EDDI plug-in that queries the game for speakable information, like current fuel level, location, or degree of damage. Does anybody know if a comparable plug-in exists, or is in development, for Star Citizen?  Thanks you.

PsiQss

Re: EDDI for Star Citizen?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 12:21:07 AM »
The existance of such plugin is heavily dependent on API, which for Star Citizen is still not present. The devs confirmed that it's indeed a planned feature, but as far as I remember, they have other priorities now so we will have to wait a bit longer for it to come :(

The problem is that you cannot read game information directly, with external plugin. That's why an API is needed - to provide a set of functions that will allow interaction between a plugin and in-game data.

Mike308

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 05:15:30 PM »
Thanks for the answer!  I will just have to keep an eye on the news feeds!

PsiQss

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 12:31:16 AM »
Hehe, I'm actively waiting for the API myself ;)

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:16:28 AM »
The existance of such plugin is heavily dependent on API, which for Star Citizen is still not present. The devs confirmed that it's indeed a planned feature, but as far as I remember, they have other priorities now so we will have to wait a bit longer for it to come :(

The problem is that you cannot read game information directly, with external plugin. That's why an API is needed - to provide a set of functions that will allow interaction between a plugin and in-game data.

Not *quite* true. You could quite possibly do it via direct memory reading with an external plugin (unless you meant to say "WITHOUT an external plugin").

However, at that point in time you are getting awfully close to those dreaded cheat engine/botting "addons" that get used for other games, which is a distinct "no no" from a developer point of view (Not saying anything about their legality here just so you are aware, just that developers don't like them)

PsiQss

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 11:22:31 AM »
Yes, well what I meant, is there's no 'official' way to do it. We're talking programming here, so technically - everything is possible with the right tools and enough knowledge ;)
And to be honest, from my point of view, reading it directly from memory is not "awfully close" - it IS outright cheating, because you would be accessing data which you are not supposed to. But it might just be my opinion :)