Author Topic: Windows speech recognition error. Win10  (Read 6239 times)

albionsblade

Windows speech recognition error. Win10
« on: January 19, 2017, 10:50:37 AM »
All I get when starting is this error message.

"An error has occurred while trying to initialize the speech engine's audio event Handlers. It is possible that the speech engine that Voiceattack relies on is corrupt, has corrupt components and/or has missing components.
If this is the first time you have received this message, and voiceattack was working before, a simple reboot of Windows may solve this issue.
VoiceAttack must now close. Sorry!
Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I have searched the internet and though there have been several occasions this has happened to people I cannot find a resolution that works.
My language is English(UK) so the problems don't seem to be unsupported language and windows speech recognition seems to be working.

If anyone knows a way to solve this I would be very grateful.

*Just to add a little moe Version v1.5.7 works but any after that doesn't.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:51:36 AM by albionsblade »

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Windows speech recognition error. Win10
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 12:32:38 PM »
Hi, there.

What you are experiencing is the same as what was going on in this thread: http://voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=745.msg3793#msg3793

Basically, what is going on is there is some aspect of the speech engine's installation on your computer that is not working properly.  The Windows speech application (which uses the same speech engine) is not using the same subset of features that VA is using, so you will get an error when using VA.  There's not much that can be done, as I have no idea what exactly is out of sorts on your machine (or any machine) that is causing that error.  The only thing I can suggest is a fresh installation of Windows, but that's a LOT of work for something like this.  I wish there was an easier way that was actually published somewhere o_O

albionsblade

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 04:45:04 PM »
Oh well, I'll need to stick to v1.5.7 and try the odd updates to see it something manages to unjam. Thank you for the reply. Looks like I'll have to put on hold listening to the dulcet tones of Brian Blessed in my sidewinder on hold.

*I just realised I can still use the sound files it just won't import the profile scheme so will just need to make a new profile.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:24:13 PM by albionsblade »

albionsblade

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 06:11:33 AM »
Just to say I took the plunge and reinstalled windows 10. Everything fixed and working fine.
If anyone else comes across this page with the same problem I searched long and from several directions. It does seem like reinstalling windows is if not the only fix the simplest.

I thank the people on here for their help.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »
It's an unfortunate thing.  There is no documentation anywhere to be found that shows how to easily replace the speech engine if it gets fouled up.  Wondering if there is a way to update it by uninstalling and reinstalling language packs... ?

Glad you got it sorted -  sorry you had to reinstall :(