Author Topic: keypresses and keyboards  (Read 3701 times)

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
keypresses and keyboards
« on: December 04, 2016, 02:39:08 PM »
This is an issue I've had for a while, probably related only to me though :)

Firstly, my keyboard is a Razer BlackWidow mechanical. It's quite noisy and whenever I type va is recognising the kb sounds as commands so I constantly have to turn kb off to type which is quite annoying. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Secondly, the keys on this kb have quite a long travel to the bottom but is quite sensitive and a key is pressed even when I very lightly press the key. Games recognise this light press but va on keypress doesn't always and usually needs me to press the key all the way down, often resulting in missed keypresses. Now I think it's probably keypress time in va being too short. We can set it for va pressing keys but is there any way to set the press time for on keypress commands? Assuming you think this is the problem of course.
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: keypresses and keyboards
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »
I have a Razer BW Chroma Stealth and although noisy, it's not generating commands as I don't normally have my mic cranked up (plus I have a noise-cancelling headset... not sure if that's what keeps out the sound).  You can see what types of commands your keyboard is, 'generating' and add those with an the, 'ignore' action.  Might help some.

As far as key sensitivity, VA has no knowledge other than, 'hey, a key was pressed'.  Synapse may have a setting that works with games, so that's totally out of VA's control.  Maybe look at the gaming mode of Synapse and see if there's something in there that can be adjusted (if you find something interesting, let us know).

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 03:50:12 PM »
unfortunately the commands are being recognised and run so whilst ignore keeps the log window cleaner it doesn't stop them running
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 05:44:35 AM »
BREAKTHROUGH!

Turns out this wasn't the game missing keypresses but va not sending them.

Executing a command to press a key significantly slows keypresses down. Now that's not normally a problem as were only talking milliseconds here. But, when it's a shortcut key that you sometimes spam then va can miss sending the key. That's not a va issue, it's a coding issue (my fault) and with some tweaking and lots of testing I've now got it so no keypress sends are ever missed :)

You can close this one