Author Topic: Profiles Switching  (Read 6351 times)

reedjam99

Profiles Switching
« on: November 30, 2016, 12:41:20 PM »
Hey all, hoping someone can help. I used VA for quite some time on my old build with no problems. I recently rebuilt my machine and switched from Windows 7 to 10. Reinstalled VA. Everything within VA works fine - with one exception.

I have two profiles, one for everyday use (*My Profile) and one for Elite Dangerous (Elite - Dangerous Horizons - Full House). On my old machine my everyday profile would remain active unless I told the Elite profile to wake up. For some reason on the rebuilt machine the profiles seem to randomly switch, or deactivate entirely. I can wake them up and switch between them as necessary, but it's becoming annoying, as I'll be typing away in Word and ASTRA will begin randomly locking my wingmen or engaging the Frame Shift Drive ;)

I do not have "Auto Profile Switching" enabled, at least the box for that option is not checked. I do have "Launch with Windows Start" selected.

Any ideas?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Profiles Switching
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 01:56:41 AM »
Do you have any commands that would trigger a profile switch in either profile? It could be that your microphone is picking up background noise which the speech engine may interpret as a command.

reedjam99

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 04:53:56 AM »
Each profile has a command to switch to the other profile, "ASTRA Wake Up" in one and "Marvin Wake Up" in the other. I haven't seen anything showing up as those in the speech recognition window, but I'm not sure how long that log of recognized/unrecognized speech lasts. Thanks for the idea, I'll keep an eye on that. Any other thoughts?

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 05:03:52 AM »
I know that the ASTRA profile doesn't have the ability to swap profiles in its baseline profiles (there is however the "profile switch" profile which I did the base work on).

Personally I would use a "profile switch" profile to flick between them (using the "include commands from" option in the Profile Settings window).

Create a new profile. Put your swap commands into that, and then have both ASTRA and MARVIN include that new profile.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 05:09:31 AM »
Each profile has a command to switch to the other profile, "ASTRA Wake Up" in one and "Marvin Wake Up" in the other. I haven't seen anything showing up as those in the speech recognition window
You wouldn't. The log gets cleared when switching profiles.

I feel it's the likely culprit. To aid with diagnosis, you can add a random sound to play in each of your "Wake Up" commands, before the profile switch. That way you'll get an audible confirmation of the problem.

reedjam99

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 05:19:42 AM »
Each profile has a command to switch to the other profile, "ASTRA Wake Up" in one and "Marvin Wake Up" in the other. I haven't seen anything showing up as those in the speech recognition window
You wouldn't. The log gets cleared when switching profiles.

I feel it's the likely culprit. To aid with diagnosis, you can add a random sound to play in each of your "Wake Up" commands, before the profile switch. That way you'll get an audible confirmation of the problem.

You know, I didn't even think of that, but I actually do have a sound that plays when the profile switches. When going to Marvin he has a list of random sounds he plays, and when going to ASTRA she says "Awaiting orders" or some such. And I've never heard any of those trigger other than when I'm actively switching the profiles. Is there anything else that would cause the profiles to switch other than those specific profile switching commands?

I know that the ASTRA profile doesn't have the ability to swap profiles in its baseline profiles (there is however the "profile switch" profile which I did the base work on).

Personally I would use a "profile switch" profile to flick between them (using the "include commands from" option in the Profile Settings window).

Create a new profile. Put your swap commands into that, and then have both ASTRA and MARVIN include that new profile.
The version of ASTRA that I first installed, some time ago, either had a profile switch in it or I found an example online. Either way I then copied that and edited it for my Marvin profile. I'm not sure if the commands to switch profiles are at fault since I'm not hearing the associated sounds, but I'll switch them out to a profile switch profile anyway, just in case.