Author Topic: VA has Died On me!  (Read 4842 times)

Xaqi

VA has Died On me!
« on: November 25, 2016, 06:37:02 PM »
Hiyas,

Have used VA with Elite Dangerous for a couple of weeks, worked great! Then in the past few days, it started to unrecogonize commands, to the point now of not recognizing any command, or if it does, it is completely with wrong words I have not used.

Also what has gone crazy is the stop listening shortcut. Pressing Left Alt with F2, it will stop, press again and it remains stopped, the red cross over the headphone icon remaining on, same happens if I just use the mouse.

Have been using 1.6.1, so tried 1.6.2, still no good, I tried to completely uninstall VA using Revo Uninstaller, re-installed  program and same thing is happening, Completely unusable  :'(  Also after re-installing, I retrained Windows Speech recognition, 3 times over as when I first got VA.

I played ED last night, was so much different without VA !!

Any help please, I am at wits end at to what is wrong!

Gary

• Administrator
Re: VA has Died On me!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:42:29 PM »
You might want to try this Xaqi:

http://voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=64.0

Hope that helps!

Xaqi

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 07:17:01 PM »
Thanks Gary, but as I mentioned in my post, I have already created a new speech profile and trained it 3 times over. 

So again, at the moment, with a new speech profile, VA is dead. It does nothing but sit there staring at me ;-)  And btw, I did try the default "My Profile" in VA to make sure it wasn't my ED profile, but to no avail - unresponsive VA.  Anyways, thanks again, hopefully you or someone else can come up with a solution.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 08:09:21 PM »
Sorry... I wasn't able to glean that you've added a new speech profile from your post:

Have been using 1.6.1, so tried 1.6.2, still no good, I tried to completely uninstall VA using Revo Uninstaller, re-installed  program and same thing is happening, Completely unusable  :'(  Also after re-installing, I retrained Windows Speech recognition, 3 times over as when I first got VA.

Reading it again, to be clear, you ADDED a new speech profile to Windows' control panel, right?

Also what has gone crazy is the stop listening shortcut. Pressing Left Alt with F2, it will stop, press again and it remains stopped, the red cross over the headphone icon remaining on, same happens if I just use the mouse.

This is quite strange, as this is not tied to the speech engine at all (believe it or not) and would be considered a totally separate issue.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that something is up on your machine that is not right.  Have you done a system scan?  That seems to be my go-to resolution, but it seems to help a lot in various cases:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Make sure you have not switched to a webcam mic... that seems to happen from time to time.  Have you installed any other software or updated any drivers or anything like that?

Xaqi

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 10:30:49 PM »
G'Day Gary,

Firstly, ran the windows System File Checker tool - that showed nothing amiss. Secondly, yes I think your right, there is something in my PC doing this as I'm now quite sure it's not VA. (good eh, heheh).

Also, no software or drivers have been installed or updated updated recently. One important thing has happened after my first post, is that starting Steam to play ED, a window pops up saying "Windows is running Steam in Compatability mode and may cause problems with some games" (uh hah!). But it ain't - I checked every steam****.exe that I could find and Compayability mode is unchecked. I'm going to post a question with Steam about this and see if they have any ideas.

Thanks again for your help!