Author Topic: "Error Acquiring Process Handle" When Simulated Keystrokes Attempted  (Read 4292 times)

bzowk

Hey Guys -

Just recently started using VoiceAttack with my Rift and love it - except for one thing...  When I create commands to perform simple keystrokes, nothing happens and the log window states "Error acquiring process handle for command "…" (Global Level).

Issue Detail
The command I'm attempting is to hit "Ctrl - F1" which I have configured in the application "SoundSwitch" to rotate between 3 selected audio playback sources - Digital (TOS-link), Desktop Speaker, and Rift Audio.  It only rotates between the 3 I choose.  I know issue isn't related to the app, though, as no keystrokes work - even just the letter "m" in a command.  I'm testing by right clicking command and choosing "Execute.  Other commands such as launching applications work.

What I've Tried
Prior to posting, I did some searching and overall; below is what I've tried in order to fix it.  Unfortunately, nothing below worked or changed the resulting behavior...
- Rebooted
- Running as Administrator:  Tried by configuring EXE properties as well as right click method
- Selecting / Entering keys in command
- Recording keys in command
- Started new profile & new command
- Upgraded:  I was using 1.5.x, but just upgraded to 1.6.1.8
- Different Key Combo: I tried "Ctrl - Alt -S" but it gave same error.  In fact, I set a command to simply emulate hitting "m" and got the same error so isn't specific to set of keys
- Disabled Services: Read post that someone had to close TeamViewer to get it to work.  I therefore closed / stopped processes and services for TightVNC & NoMachine which were the only apps I had resident that offerred remote control or would take over keyboard which were not native to Windows

I looked through the VA installation folder, ProgramData, and AppData folders for any kind of VoiceAttack log file; but didn't see one.  So, I've just included a screenshot showing the error as stated above (after last 3 tests) plus my user.config file which I edited out token and registration data if it helps.

My OS is Windows 10 x64 Professional 1607 / build 14393.576 which is fully patched as of posting.

Overall
Any suggestions?  If not to fix the issue, an alternate way to switch between playback devices? Thanks!

iceblast

Re: "Error Acquiring Process Handle" When Simulated Keystrokes Attempted
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 11:47:10 AM »
Sorry, not sure what your problem is with VA, but here's a workaround.

Code: [Select]
Run application 'nircmd.exe ' -with parameters 'setdefaultsounddevice DesktopSpeakers'

I'll attach a picture. Just switch DesktopSpeakers to one of yours Digital (TOS-link), Desktop Speaker, and Rift Audio.

bzowk

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 11:51:05 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  I was actually just about to post as I played with it a bit more and found that there are already built in options when building a new command to set the audio device to something specific.  I just created one for each of my devices and they work great.

Think that and the option mentioned should take care of things.  Thanks again for the fast reply and suggestion.  Still don't don't why I can't emulate keystrokes so hopefully that won't impeded future tasks.

Thanks!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 12:07:15 PM »
What is the "Send commands to :" dropdown on VoiceAttack's main window set to?

Alternatively, check the settings for the following:
  • The "Send commands to" checkbox and dropdown in the profile options menu
  • The "Send this command to" checkbox and dropdown in the "Edit a Command" window"
  • The "Perform a Window Function" action with the "Set command to target this window" checkbox checked
Are any of those enabled?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 12:16:42 PM by Pfeil »