Author Topic: Confused On How To Use Latest Version  (Read 5606 times)

AfxTwn

Confused On How To Use Latest Version
« on: November 20, 2016, 04:04:20 AM »
Hi, please could someone take me through a step-by-step instruction of how to use the latest version of VA (1.6.1) as I'm a little confused by all the videos that seem to be for older versions.

I have installed the software and downloaded and installed the HCS ASTRA voice pack. Do I need to create a new profile in VA and add the voice pack to it as I don't see an option for creating a new profile in the drop down list. Or do I just import the 2.0 Astra Full House - Guardians.vap profile?

I want to be able to use the voice pack with my Xbox One controller in Elite Dangerous  so I have copied the HCSPacks KB+M .2.0.binds file to the ED binding folder. So I assume I just follow this video to apply the keybindings? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms3bL1wBBFg&t=405s

Sorry I am a new user of the software so it's very confusing and some of the tutorial videos I've seen leave out specific information and seem to use old versions of the software.

Thanks for any help.

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
Re: Confused On How To Use Latest Version
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 09:40:31 AM »
Import the profile and then choose the profile you want to use (ALT+I is the shortcut for that)

In terms of the binds, personally, I would choose the controller setup from the drop down menu, and then follow this link to make sure that you have assigned Keyboard presses to the relevant commands. Do not overwrite your controller binds, just add these keypresses to it.

I am currently in the process of doing Xbox 360/Xbox 1 and generic controller bind files for those packs, so there may be a slight wait for them, but I am using that link that I just posted and then just adding the keyboard presses on top of them (never replace existing button press, add instead)

AfxTwn

Re: Confused On How To Use Latest Version
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 12:48:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I have imported the Astra Full House profile into VA and in Elite I have chosen the Advanced Control Pad to user with my Xbox One controller as I am used to those controls. I can see that some of the controls are already bound to some keyboard controls so presumably I don't need to change those keyboard bindings?

The video I linked to looked like you could just say the controls to Astra and it would automatically bind the correct keyboard control in ED. Do I have to manually input them instead?

UPDATE: I think I have got it working now by following the video I mentioned. As I was using the Advanced Control Pad profile in ED, most of the keyboard commands were already inputted along with the Xbox button presses. I went through the list of controls I would use and told Astra which control it was (such as "Engage frame shift drive") and the equivalent keyboard command was input into ED's controls automatically.

It works great and I think a few more passes through Windows's speech recognition software improvement will make it even better.

I just have a few more questions though, what audio options do people use, mute or lower in ED as I noticed there was a clash between hearing Astra confirming a command and the ship's computer saying the same thing or similar. So do people still have the ship commands etc still playing?

Also, would it be ok to use my computer speakers rather than headphones as I prefer this so I can still hear what's going on around me (like if the phone rings or someone is at the door)? I'm just wondering if VA would pick up whatever's being played through the speaker on the microphone and interpret that as a command. I know headphones would probably be better and a quiet room but does VA make allowances for noisier environments? I'm using an Audio Technica AT2020 condenser mic connected to an external audio interface so I can adjust the gain of it and lower the volume of the speakers.

As a side note, I'm thinking of getting the Tobii Eye Tracker 4C as this would be great to use alongside VA for total immersion.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:41:23 AM by AfxTwn »