Author Topic: Main profile and a plugin profile?  (Read 9492 times)

Sunsteal

Main profile and a plugin profile?
« on: November 20, 2016, 11:37:48 AM »
Just wondering in general what the app plugin section in voiceattacks is for. If i have a main profile called A.S.T.R.A. And i've now downloaded a profile for the same game (elite dangerous) called E.D.D.I. which is placed in the plugin section can my voiceattacks main profile 'use' this 2nd 'eddi' profile or to use it does it have to be imported into my main profile?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Main profile and a plugin profile?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 12:55:21 PM »
Plugins and profiles are seperate things; EDDI is a plugin(a piece of software that extends the functionality of VoiceAttack) to communicate with Elite:Dangerous and makes data from the game available in VoiceAttack.
The profile that comes with EDDI will likely have a basic set of commands that use and are used by the EDDI plugin.

To utilize the profile, you can import it into VoiceAttack as an additional profile using the button or pressing ALT-I on the main window.

Then, you can attach it to your main profile by setting it as active, opening the "Edit a Profile" window using the button on the main screen, going into the profile options using the button, and selecting the "EDDI" profile in the "Include commands from another profile" dropdown.

By using this method rather than importing the commands from the other profile into yours, you can keep them entirely separate, but use both of them at the same time.
Note that to edit a profile, it needs to be active, so you'll have to switch to the "EDDI" profile to make changes to that, and back again to your main profile to use both.

Sunsteal

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 01:01:37 PM »
Excellent. Just the answer I wanted :)

Thank you for your help.

(And even better I can add my 'radio' plugin to 'eddi' and then 'eddi' to my main profile and it works. No more having to import these extras into my main profile).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 01:11:00 PM by Sunsteal »

Sunsteal

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 03:14:03 PM »
I do seem to have found a problem. I'm using VA 1.6.1. I can Get my main profile to act on commands from any plugin's but I can't now stop it.

If i now go back into my main profile, edit the profile, hit options and overrides and then put 'include commands from another profile' back to non it still initializes that plugin. I've tried closing and restarting VA and restarting the computer but I now can't turn that plugin off.

If I use VA's options and click off 'enable plugin support' then it will stop the plugin being initialised but when rechecked and with 'include commands from another profile' still showing non it will again initialize and use that plugin.

Even when i have plugin support checked and have a different plugin now included with my main profile it ignores it and initializes the first plugin again.

There is no way of using a 2nd plugin.

If i change the profile to, say, HCS Radio the first plugin is still initializes and runs.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 03:21:04 PM »
Plugins always run when VoiceAttack does, they're not bound to a profile. If your profile doesn't use the data from the plugin it shouldn't be affected by it.

The only way to stop a plugin from running is to move it out of the "Apps" directory, however, there should not be a restriction on running multiple plugins(at least not when you're only using two of them), so you shouldn't have to.

What isn't working now that the EDDI plugin is running?

Sunsteal

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 03:44:49 PM »
I can't stop the eddi plugin running. I have a radio plugin that even when enabled eddi still runs. I can't now run my main profile and my radio as eddi is always running even if I go into my main profile and tell it to use commands from the radio plugin. Eddi still runs.

So the only way to run the radio and my main profile is to delete/remove eddi.

Edit... Ah, so the radio isn't a 'true' plugin as recognised by VA though it can be used in the same way (as in having its commands run from within my main profile) and though we set VA's 'edit profile' - 'options and overrides' to non eddi once initialised will always run and be called ingame unless deleted.

If this is so then I fail to see what the 'none' option is for under 'include commands from another profile :' is used for.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 04:05:22 PM »
I fail to see what the 'none' option is for under 'include commands from another profile :' is used for.
Plugins have nothing to do with profiles or commands, the plugin just runs in the background.

When you include commands from another profile, it's a convenience feature that allows you to use those commands without having them be a permanent part of the primary profile.

This is where terminology is very important:

A profile = a list of commands that can be executed by the user when triggered through speech or other methods.

A command = a list of actions, executed in order, when a command is triggered.

An action = a manipulation of either data or an external system, E.G. setting a variable or pressing a keyboard key, respectively. These are built into VoiceAttack itself.

A plugin = a piece of software that runs alongside VoiceAttack and can read and write data from and to it. Plugins are often called "Extensions", because they're supposed to extend the functionality of a piece of software beyond the original design.

The "Radio plugin" you're referring to is a profile, just like the "EDDI" profile is just another profile. The EDDI plugin is an entirely separate entity from these profiles.

Sunsteal

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 04:37:36 PM »
Ok, I've surrendered :( My terminology will never be correct when talking about these things so the easiest thing is to go back to basics. VA and a single, unedited profile :)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »
the easiest thing is to go back to basics. VA and a single, unedited profile :)

I didn't mean to discourage you, but if what you need is the thing to "just work", taking it back to basics is a safe bet.