Author Topic: Conflict with windows shortcuts  (Read 395 times)

Blazarus

Conflict with windows shortcuts
« on: July 28, 2024, 03:27:21 PM »
When I use voice attack to try to open left panel in elite dangerous it instead opens the snipping tool in windows 11.   There is an also a conflict with a shortcut that the app Evernote uses in windows.   I solved the Evernote issue by closing Evernote but I can’t seem to disable the snipping tool shortcut.   

Is there a way to disable windows shortcuts when voice attack is running or some other simple solution? 

Thanks for any help. 

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Conflict with windows shortcuts
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2024, 12:33:16 AM »
Most games should intercept that key combination so Windows doesn't respond to it.

As you mention "instead", have you made sure the command is actually targeting the game?

If the targeting is set correctly, but the issue persists, consider assigning a key combination that isn't Win-Shift-S

If you actually haven't assigned the combination Win-Shift-S, that would indicate a key is remaining pressed down somewhere. In that case, make sure your keypress actions use the "Press And Release Key(s)" option. Using the "Press Key(s)" option means the key(s) remain pressed down.

Blazarus

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2024, 09:53:35 AM »
Thanks for your response. 

The conflicting shortcut is "[L-ALT]+[R-CTRL]+" which is the keybind for the "external panel" (ie left panel) within Elite Dangerous.

I would assume that the command is targeting the game since ALL the other commands target the game and work fine. 

I can change the key binding assignment within Elite Dangerous from "[L-ALT]+[R-CTRL]+" to something else but then how do I make the corresponding change within voice attack so that when I say "left panel", voice attack will send the new key combination?

Thanks.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2024, 12:16:55 PM »
That doesn't appear to be a Windows keyboard shortcut, certainly not one that would open the snipping tool.

Are you saying you have a command that presses those keys, which results in the snipping tool opening?

Blazarus

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2024, 02:21:24 PM »
When those keys are pressed in windows 11 my snipping tool opens up.   This is not something I setup.  Just happens.   

Is there a way though for me to edit the key press commands that voice attack uses for the command “left panel”?   If If I could just change it then problem solved. 

Blazarus

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2024, 02:56:33 PM »
I think this is actually Evernote overriding the windows shortcut for capture screen.   Just curious though if the default key presses that voice attack uses for elite dangerous can be changed?

Thanks again. 

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2024, 12:30:04 AM »
The default Evernote screen capture shortcut is listed as Alt-Ctrl-S, so the S key would need to be pressed somehow (it could already be held down at that point) if that's your current configuration, for the screen capture to occur.

Evernote apparently does allow you to customize keyboard shortcuts, so that's likely worth looking into first.

VoiceAttack itself has no built-in default keypresses for any application. They would be specified by the profile you're using.

Are you using third-party HCS Voice Packs products? If so, and changing the shortcut in Evernote is not an option, you'd need to ask them whether such a change is possible via their forum, or their Discord

I was under the impression that their plugin software reads the binds from the game though, so it might just be a case of changing the assignment ingame and possibly restarting VoiceAttack (to restart their plugin along with it)

Blazarus

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2024, 10:02:08 AM »
I disabled the screen capture shortcut in the Evernote app and problem solved.  Thanks.