Author Topic: Can start VA but all options go invisible...  (Read 4005 times)

dalosiman

Can start VA but all options go invisible...
« on: March 27, 2024, 12:21:51 PM »
I can start VA but when it loads and I try to click on any options the options go invisible and then voice attack crashes. Reopening the voice attack then askes me to start disabling functions one at a time but I can't click on any options and I have to force close VA and the whole process starts over. I have uninstalled VA, reinstalled it with the latest version and this still happens. I even removed everything associated with VA using Revo Uninstaller pro and then did a windows update to the latest version of Win 10 pro and still a no go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Can start VA but all options go invisible...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 12:24:28 PM »
Did this just suddenly start happening?   Like - VA was working fine and then suddenly things started getting weird?

You'll want to take a look in VA's installation folder to see if there is a VoiceAttackFault.txt file in there.  Reply and attach that file here I can take a look at it (if you do not find the file in that location, it may be written to %APPDATA%\VoiceAttack)

Since you've already reinstalled, that (mainly) rules out a borked VoiceAttack file.  That means it's probably going to end up being some component that VA references (or the components that those components reference) that are hosed up.  I would start by doing a system file scan to see if there's any low-hanging fruit that could be easily fixed:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

This is good to do time to time, even if you do not detect any issues with your machine.

dalosiman

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 12:46:55 PM »
It started happening after an update a while back. I got so frustrated with it that I put it on the back burner til now when I wanted to start streaming world of warships again. There is no fault file as everything associated with VA got deleted when I uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller Pro. Revo even deletes registry keys and residual files associated with the app you uninstall with it. Did the Win10 update today and just ran a sfc to verify files and it didn't find any corrupted files/folders etc.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 01:59:50 PM »
Is VoiceAttack still crashing?  If so, you'll then want to go and check for that fault file in those locations.  It's probably going to be the only thing that is going to be able to shed any light on what is up with your box.

dalosiman

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 07:53:12 AM »
It's still crashing anytime I try to make a profile, first I click on the add profile button then any selection I try to make from the dropdown goes clear and then a few moments later VA just closes and I get no txt files in the install location. When I reopen VA it wants to start disabling items and from there I can't click anything and I have to force close the app.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 09:32:26 AM »
It's very troubling that your controls disappear when the 'Load Options' screen appears.  At that point, no subsystems are loaded in VA, and you're just getting a simple window with checkboxes.  This would indicate that either VoiceAttack's files are corrupt or the components that VoiceAttack depends on within Windows are corrupt/misconfigured.

Do you have any type of antivirus running that may be interfering somehow?  Are you able to access the Windows Event Viewer app to see if there is anything of significance in there?

dalosiman

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2024, 04:59:49 PM »
It's very troubling that your controls disappear when the 'Load Options' screen appears.  At that point, no subsystems are loaded in VA, and you're just getting a simple window with checkboxes.  This would indicate that either VoiceAttack's files are corrupt or the components that VoiceAttack depends on within Windows are corrupt/misconfigured.

Do you have any type of antivirus running that may be interfering somehow?  Are you able to access the Windows Event Viewer app to see if there is anything of significance in there?

It's not my security software. I disabled it and the issue still persists. Nothing relevant to the issue in Windows Even Viewer either.