Author Topic: how do I play an mp4 file in Obs?  (Read 3354 times)

cryptvicious

how do I play an mp4 file in Obs?
« on: October 04, 2022, 07:57:17 AM »
I have made some little video clips to play while streaming which i activate using VC. right now I have them set in obs in another scene in a list of mp4 files. I speak the command using the mouse pointer/movement/click/pause options it moves to the scene window clicks on the other scene moves back to the middle (source) window and clicks on the icon which unmutes the selected clip and it plays through then clicks it again to mute it making it ready to be selected again. However it doesn't always work, sometimes doesn't click on the scene window at all and many things need to be in place (like not squeezing my index controller too hard) in order for it to execute. i just think that I'm doing it the hard way and there must be a better one? I have searched quite a bit and havent found any similar requests(surprisingly). thanks so much.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: how do I play an mp4 file in Obs?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 08:04:50 AM »
Have you looked into this tool? Not sure it can do everything you're looking for, but switching scenes is part of its capabilities.

You can execute it using the "Run an Application" action.

cryptvicious

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 08:26:26 AM »
Wow this looks interesting thank you. I will now attempt to shed the noobness from my rough exterior and see if I can figure out how to implement this.

*edit*  the author suggests an add on that looks like it has exactly what I'm looking for. :)

JaySlayerOfU

• Verified Ladies  Unsurpassed Сasual Dating
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 07:28:51 AM »
Handling video clips during streaming can be tricky, and I've been there. I used to struggle with a similar setup in OBS, where things wouldn't always click right, and the timing was off. It was frustrating when a video clip wouldn't play or mute correctly during a live stream.

A streaming buddy of mine suggested simplifying the process. He pointed me to this website: https://www.movavi.com/learning-portal/free-video-editing-software-no-watermark.html. It's got some useful tools and straightforward tips for managing video clips more efficiently. It was a game changer for my streams.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 05:44:52 AM by JaySlayerOfU »

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 01:34:22 PM »
Wow this looks interesting thank you. I will now attempt to shed the noobness from my rough exterior and see if I can figure out how to implement this.

*edit*  the author suggests an add on that looks like it has exactly what I'm looking for. :)

I control my OBS exclusively through VoiceAttack using the OBS Command application along with the websocket plugin noted in the documentation.  You can easily set up voice commands to enact individual functions such as setting the scene or scene elements, playing videos or the like, and even use VoiceAttack actions to structure logic for orchestrating systems which can be triggered with simple voice commands.

I've used these actions and non-voice triggered commands in VoiceAttack to craft an entire system which can funnel any requests for plugin operations through a single command, I just need to set the context and pass required variables - you can get very fancy and make serious quality of life controls this way to help keep your focus on the game and stream, and not your systems.

If you get stuck, or have any questions, feel free to ask - best wishes and good luck!