Author Topic: 'Send command to' when exe is same name?  (Read 1969 times)

Dieselrob

'Send command to' when exe is same name?
« on: December 16, 2023, 11:49:30 PM »
Hello,

I am running two instances of World of Warcraft simultaneously and would like to send commands to the window that currently isn't the focus(but from my reading don't think this is possible on windows?)

If not, is there a way to recognize two instances of the same .exe as separate programs? Right now [Send Command to -> World of Warcraft] doesn't recognize there is a World of Warcraft.exe (1) World of Warcraft.exe (2), only one being listed in the drop down.

Thank you for your time

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: 'Send command to' when exe is same name?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 12:58:13 AM »
Quote from: https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/24258
Multiboxing, or playing multiple World of Warcraft accounts at once, is not a violation of our End User License Agreement. Please note, however, that use of all software or hardware mechanisms used to mirror commands to multiple World of Warcraft accounts at the same time, or to automate or streamline multiboxing in any way may result in account penalties.
(emphasis mine)

Dieselrob

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 08:56:16 PM »
Appreciate the heads up not trying to key broadcast/automate as much as I have two instances up I control separately (alt tab back forth/two monitors)just want to bind certain keys to only be pertinent when I am on instance 2 vs 1 for example.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 10:21:32 PM »
If you are sending different commands to each window, what I would suggest is to try using the 'Perform a Window Function' action and change the window title of the second instance when you start it up (if it's originally titled, 'World of Warcraft', re-title it as 'World of Warcraft 2', 'World of Warcraft 3', etc.).  Then, target by window title (and not by exe name) when you execute your command.

Hope that helps!

Dieselrob

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 02:49:18 PM »
Thank you, that worked out great however I might be running into a grey area the Pfeil referenced. When Voice attack utilizes the send to command, what would someone on the backend of a video game see? Is it similar to alt + tab switch windows and then a keypress? Or is it a more blatant "this is a key broadcast"

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 09:46:09 AM »
Every window would be receiving the same command at the same time - I'm not entirely sure Blizzard pays that much attention to anybody that's not straight up 'botting' - and then, only take action if somebody turns the 'botter' in.

I've seen multibox characters all work in unison over different days.  Multiboxing is using multiple, paid accounts - how else to do you control all the characters at once without some type of tool (either software or hardware)? 

I guess what I'm trying to say is (at least in years past) nothing was ever done about it, so, it must be tolerated (at least in PVE.  I can see this being a problem with Tournament PVP, tho - wouldn't try it there).

Thanks to @Pfeil for pointing this out and keeping VA safe for everyone to use.