Author Topic: Forum password - half working...  (Read 1813 times)

Astan

Forum password - half working...
« on: December 06, 2023, 06:59:28 AM »
I just registered to the forum (I was able to verify my email address and log in). Next, I checked the Account Settings, where I wanted to change two options. The system prompted me to reenter my password to do so, and (rather unsurprisingly) I put in the same password that I just used to log in (successfully).

To my amazement, it didn't work. Having logged out to try logging in again, the login gate accepted my password right away. The field in Account Settings, however, still didn't.

I have 8 different special characters in my password, so I figured out I would try converting (some of) them to HTML encoding, which I did twice (first using entities, and then tags), but neither worked.

What's going on, is that a flaw in the forum system?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Forum password - half working...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 09:53:21 AM »
It could be a flaw.  The forum software is quite mature, but that doesn't mean it's bug-free.

Have you tried changing to a password without special characters as a test (non-html encoded)?

If possible, could you provide a step-by-step indication of what it is you are doing?  That way, I can try to reproduce your problem and maybe pass that on to the folks that maintain the forum software.

Sorry about that - this is a new one for me :(

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 09:58:37 AM »
Possibly obvious, but given that you can't access your account settings to change your password manually, you can use the "Forgot your password?" link on the Login page (provided you're logged out) to have a password reset link sent to your email address.

Astan

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 10:28:36 AM »
Thank you, I will use the password reset link to work around this issue at this time.

The special characters I had in my password happened to be the following:
Code: [Select]
/ ' > @ : . + \
I should add that I simply tried copy-pasting my password (which included those special characters) into the field "Current Password", required to update the settings on the page Account Settings.

However, the page refused input on clicking "Change profile", with the following error:
The following errors occurred when trying to save your profile:
The password you entered was not correct.

After (re)setting up a new password, without any of the special characters listed above, I was able to save my new settings, so it resolved the issue (at least for my account).