Author Topic: Can Voice Attach use a non-default microphone?  (Read 1870 times)

linuxgurugamer

Can Voice Attach use a non-default microphone?
« on: October 16, 2023, 11:20:17 AM »
Subject says it all.

I use VoiceMeeter and a script which keeps the default input/output as one of the VoiceMeeter devices.

I'd like to use a mike which isn't the default.

Is it possible to do that?  and if so, how?

From what I can see in the Audio tab on the settings page, it forces the Windows default device in order to use.

Thanks

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Can Voice Attach use a non-default microphone?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 11:23:20 AM »
Yes. The "Windows Speech Recording Device" option on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window can be used to specify a non-default device.

Note that this option is a shortcut to a feature of the Microsoft speech recognition system. A known quirk is that if the specified device becomes unavailable, the speech recognition system will switch to a different device, and may not automatically switch back.

linuxgurugamer

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 02:45:29 PM »
Thanks.

Might be helpful to put a line on the dialog saying that it won't take effect until VA is restarted, I didnt' see that until I closed the dialog

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 06:58:45 PM »
On my machine that change takes effect the moment the VoiceAttack options window is closed (while that window is open, features like speech recognition and keyboard/mouse/joystick shortcuts are intentionally disabled, regardless of which options, if any, you might change)