Author Topic: How to Create a Mouse Click BUT With the Left Alt?  (Read 1289 times)

LinuxDevice

How to Create a Mouse Click BUT With the Left Alt?
« on: August 17, 2023, 02:49:53 PM »
I'm running into a game that has a lot of bizarre binding combinations. One of those is to combine the ALT, SHIFT, or CTRL keys (often specifically left or right) with a given mouse button. The one I'm looking at right now has the left ALT button in combination with a left click on the mouse. I see mouse actions, and I see keyboard actions.

Is this the correct way to deal with this: Create a key down, but not key up; then mouse click; then key up.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: How to Create a Mouse Click BUT With the Left Alt?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 02:52:36 PM »
Indeed.

E.G.
Code: [Select]
Press down Left Alt key
Click left mouse button
Release Left Alt key

For certain games you may need to add a short pause before and/or after the click.

LinuxDevice

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 10:04:09 PM »
Thank you, good to verify I'm not doing it some weird way!

Incidentally, the game in question also has a "double tap" for regular keyboard keys...just like double click, but on the keyboard. I didn't see any "double click" for keyboard keys. Is there such a thing? If not, would you happen to know what some sort of "standard" delay time is between button clicks on an average mouse? I ask because this might be the right delay time for their odd keyboard "double click" function (or at least it is a starting point).

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 08:08:57 AM »
That would presumably vary from person to person.

If you'd like to get a feel for your own cadence, you could use the Key Press / Mouse Event Recorder, for example, and register a few double-taps at your normal speed.
Having the "Consolidate down/up events into single key presses/mouse clicks" option enabled and adding the actions to a command temporarily can reduce visual clutter (obviously you'd also want to make sure "Record pauses between key/mouse events" is enabled, and its two sub-options disabled).