Author Topic: Program is running but interface is no longer booting up and I can't find it  (Read 1731 times)

gijutsusenshi

Voice Attack is running and recognizes my voice just fine. I know I messed with the settings for how it boots up and now I can't open the interface to undo those settings. I need help. Sorry this is a newbie question. Thank you for your help.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Do you have it minimized to the system tray?
By default that's at the bottom of your main display, right-hand side, to the left of the clock. You may need to click an upward-pointing arrow to show all system tray icons (especially if you're running Windows 11)

If so, clicking the VoiceAttack icon should bring up the main window.

gijutsusenshi

You got me on the right track! You are awesome. I had done the setting changes when I downloaded it on Steam. I uninstalled from Steam and redownloaded it via standalone. I had no clue what system tray was until you told me. I was going apes#|+ I was trying to figure out how to reset all settings via PowerShell LOL. took me on a wild ride. I just redownloaded it via steam and there it is in my system tray. Thank you so so much! you are amazing! Do you have a like a Venmo or something? You seem to be helping so many people. I have no way of returning the favor.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Should it be relevant in future, there are a few ways to reset all settings to default:

In a scenario where you do have access to the GUI, the "Reset Defaults" button on the "General" tab of the VoiceAttack options window can of course be used.

Should you not have access to the GUI, hold the Shift and Ctrl keys on your keyboard while VoiceAttack is starting (you may need to have them released to be able to launch it; hold them down as quickly as possible right after clicking "Launch", or double-clicking a desktop shortcut), and on the "VoiceAttack Load Options" window check the "Reset VoiceAttack settings to initial values (does not affect profiles or registration)" option, then click "OK"

VoiceAttack can instead be launched with the "-loadoptions" command line parameter, without needing to hold down keys, to open the same window.

Alternatively, you can delete the configuration file, "user.config", located in a subdirectory of
Code: [Select]
%localappdata%\VoiceAttack.com(you may have more than one subdirectory, if you've installed VoiceAttack to multiple locations in the past)

You can hold the Windows key on your keyboard, then press the R key, to open the "Run" dialog, paste into the "Open:" field what's in the code block above, and click "OK", to open the mentioned directory.

For the Steam version this will mean VoiceAttack will require Steam to run in order to verify your license information (if you're launching VoiceAttack through Steam anyway, this shouldn't be noticeable)

Profiles are not stored as part of the normal settings, so they would be unaffected provided you follow the instructions above.

An aside to this is that you can back up your configuration using the "Export Settings" button on the "System / Advanced" tab of the VoiceAttack options window.

It is also worth pressing F1 while VoiceAttack has focus to open VoiceAttackHelp.pdf in your default PDF viewer, which contains information on VoiceAttack's features.

Enjoy using VoiceAttack  ;)

gijutsusenshi

@Pfeil
Wow that is so helpful for a number of reasons and gets me in the right direction for future software issues. I have immense appreciation for you knowledge and time.

Thank you so much!