Author Topic: Dictation: Symbols & Punctuation Commands (How to enter?)  (Read 1525 times)

Starblue7

Dictation: Symbols & Punctuation Commands (How to enter?)
« on: May 20, 2023, 05:04:05 PM »
I've been going through the docs and searching around and haven't found what I'm looking for about this.
Maybe I just missed it.

How can I add Punctuation Commands and Symbols when using Dictation in Voice Attack?

For example, if I'd like to add the  '@' symbol, what should I say?  Likewise, a '%' symbol?

I guess there's some BASIC stuff I can say, like COMMA.  But so far when I say for example "Percent Symbol", it is written out via Dictation as "Percent Symbol" and not "%".

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Dictation: Symbols & Punctuation Commands (How to enter?)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 03:46:58 AM »
Those would be "at sign" and "percent sign".

That type of thing is essentially hardcoded into the Microsoft speech recognition system.

Relevant documentation on that can be found here (the "Commands for punctuation marks and special characters" section lists what you're looking for).

Starblue7

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 03:54:58 AM »
Those would be "at sign" and "percent sign".

That type of thing is essentially hardcoded into the Microsoft speech recognition system.

Relevant documentation on that can be found here (the "Commands for punctuation marks and special characters" section lists what you're looking for).

Thanks.  So, would basically all of those commands etc. work within Voice Attack's dictation?  I remember trying to say Caret ^  and it turned out Carrot.  hehe

Would it be better to do something within Voice Attack for 'specialized words' that would yield a specific typed result within the Dictation {DICTATION} Token?  Is that even possible.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 04:12:44 AM »
"Caret" does work on my machine, though it took a few attempted pronunciations.
Possibly something that'd work more reliably with a custom pronunciation for "^" added to the dictionary (something to note: a custom pronunciation does not need to match the actual text or default pronunciation, E.G. you could speak "caret sign" instead)

If by "commands" you're referring to most other things on that linked page, no. Most of it is relevant only to the Windows Speech Recognition application's dictation mode (or that application in general), rather than the engine/system itself.

The first five entries in the "Commands for dictation" section do apply, as they just insert relevant characters or affect transcription directly.
Commands that manipulate existing text or perform other functions should not.

Would it be better to do something within Voice Attack for 'specialized words' that would yield a specific typed result within the Dictation {DICTATION} Token?  Is that even possible.

Not sure what you mean by "within Voice Attack", but theoretically you could use the speech dictionary and custom pronunciations to try and achieve something similar.