Author Topic: Multiple Playback devices.  (Read 1794 times)

Larty737

Multiple Playback devices.
« on: April 25, 2023, 03:40:41 AM »
G'day,
Can I have Voice Attack playback voice commands from VA through my headset and have the other audio from the simulator program playback in the usual way through the speakers.
When I change with the drop down menu it warns me that it will affect all applications. I assume from that it means all audio would then come through the headset. Not sure I understand how the two "Multimedia" and "Communication" drop downs are affected by the above.

Regards
Les

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Multiple Playback devices.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 04:56:24 AM »
The four dropdowns near the bottom of the "Audio" tab of the VoiceAttack options window are essentially shortcuts to your Windows sound device settings. If you use them to change devices, you're changing the devices Windows itself, and most applications, will use.

The vast majority of applications will use the Windows default multimedia devices for playback and recording.
The Windows default communications devices, which can be identical to the multimedia devices, are theoretically intended mainly for something like VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol, basically phone calls over the internet), so a rare few applications may use those devices instead (neither VoiceAttack nor the Microsoft speech recognition system do).

If you want to use a device other than the default Windows multimedia playback device for audio generated by VoiceAttack commands, you'd want to use the "Override Default Playback Device" dropdown near the top of the "Audio" tab to change which device sound files are played back to, and the "Override Default Text-to-Speech Device" dropdown next to that to change which device synthesized text-to-speech is played back to.

Do make sure that the "Audio Output Type" option is set to "Integrated Components" (which should be the default).

Larty737

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 10:53:56 PM »
Thank you for the reply,
I will change as you indicated and hopefully will get the voice replies I heed through the headphones and all other sounds from the speakers.
Regards

Larty737

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 12:54:35 AM »
Thanks again
I now have my voice activated ATC replies from the headphones and I hear the ambient aircraft and other announcements through the main speakers. Mind blowing for my visitors......
Regards
Les