Author Topic: Issue with Muting Skype  (Read 1797 times)

wakevortex

Issue with Muting Skype
« on: April 17, 2023, 01:28:55 AM »
Hi ..
in 2021 you helped me out with a muting issue, where I wanted Skype to MUTE , every time I used the voice recognition trigger key (so my colleagues didn't hear my voice commands)
This is for use in DCS Flight sim
it WAS sorted back then, but now seems to have broken.
This was your answer then
"Skype uses global hotkeys, which do not require the application('s window) to have focus (and are enabled by default).
Setting the command to target the active window (or any other window, for that matter, as long as it doesn't belong to an application running as administrator; if your profile doesn't override targeting, you could just uncheck the "Send command to this target:" option entirely), should still allow the hotkey to function"

The problem is now, that whatever I set the target to for the skype mute commands (Ctrl M) , it will now ONLY mute if
a) Skype is the focused window or
b) The target IS set as Skype in VA ..which makes DCS lose focus and not return

Pressing the actual keyboard CTRL M when DCS is in focus also fails...
DCS is not running as admin

Any ideas what is going on here and how I can fix it?
any help much appreciated
Thanks  !
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 10:09:02 AM by wakevortex »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Issue with Muting Skype
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 11:54:11 AM »
You mention "when DCS is in focus"; does the Ctrl-m shortcut work when neither DCS or Skype have focus?

Are you running VoiceAttack as admin? Are you launching DCS using VoiceAttack?

As the physical keyboard keys don't trigger the shortcut either, this is unlikely to be an issue with VoiceAttack itself (unless they somehow do work while VoiceAttack isn't running)

wakevortex

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 12:11:20 PM »
Ok I've done some narrowing down.
Looks like VA sends the global commands no problem to skype with any program in focus EXCEPT DCS...
its the same for an actual keyboard CTRL M press
VA is running as Admin  , DCS is launching from a desktop icon..
So it seems although VA normal commands go to DCS no problem, the global command I need is being NOT passed by DCS
very odd as this definitely  used to work in the past .
any thoughts on how to possibly get round it (even though it does seem like a DCS change) its weird for  sure
thanks !

wakevortex

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 12:22:21 PM »
Looks like this has been broken in an update last year  !
https://forum.dcs.world/topic/310652-dcs-capturing-keystroke-not-passing-through/

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 12:39:19 PM »
Aha, unfortunate. I was looking at Skype to see whether the shortcuts could be remapped in the current version (as I seemed to recall something with modifiers in DCS, which Ctrl would be), but that's not very relevant then.

wakevortex

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 12:45:59 PM »
Indeed - and God bless Microsoft ..it seems they have REMOVED the ability to remap the Skype  key commands anyway for some pointless reason.
Looks like im dead in the water here..I've asked on that DCS thread.,..cant see any reason WHY they would change that behavior though .
Appreciate your help..at least we know its not VA  !