Author Topic: problem with Windows 11, brand new laptop  (Read 3009 times)

mooni

problem with Windows 11, brand new laptop
« on: April 25, 2022, 12:22:19 AM »
Hi there,

my new laptop has Windows 11 home installed on it.

Unfortunately Voiceattack does not work on it.
I checked the Windows speech engine and have included German as language for speech recognition, as well as English and Greek.

But the speech engine in Voiceattack seem not to recognize any speech engine.
As well the old Windows tools for speech recognition training do not work.
Though the new speech to text- engine (cloud based) of Windows, started by Windows key + H, does properly work as well as Cortana, but only the new Cortana not the old one with this panel that opens on the top of the screen..

"use build in SAPI speech engines" in Voiceattack was deactivated so I followed the manual of Viceattack and installed an alternate one and installed German as language. Now "use build in SAP speech engines" is activated. On the voice attack /recognition panel, German "Microsoft Speech Recognizuer 8.0 for windows" is set as speech engine in the combo-box.

But unfortunately Voiceattack does not even recognize a single word, the speech recognition bar while speaking does not show any signs of data reception. The microphon is working properly, latest drivers are installed.

Help! :)

mooni

Re: problem with Windows 11, brand new laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 01:33:31 AM »
I guess I found the cause. I had to set the microphone gain higher +20.0 db.

Now my commands are recognized by the Microsoft Speech Recognizer 8.0 Engine but..
not accepted...

I get everytime "..spoek word" recognized, but rejected with confidence leel 73/75

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 06:25:37 AM »
The minimum confidence level can be lowered either on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window, in the profile options using the "Override global minimum confidence level" option if enabled, or within specific commands if they have that option enabled (which would override the global and profile settings).

However, ~73 is generally a rather low level of confidence, indicating that something in the speech recognition chain is not working optimally.

Note that the recommended configuration is to use a (USB) headset as the input device, and a quiet room (both in the sense of background noise and acoustics).

Also note that when you are using a German speech recognition engine, the command phrases in your profile would also need to be in German. English may be recognized, but that is more coincidental as the phonemes can be roughly similar.

priscalos

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 03:28:13 PM »
Hey there! Sorry for the delayed response, but I wanted to share some insights that might help others facing a similar issue. I had trouble with Voiceattack on Windows 11 too, but I found some helpful tips on a Windows 10 key cheap Reddit sub. They suggested adjusting the microphone gain to +20.0 db, lowering the minimum confidence level in the VoiceAttack options, and using a USB headset in a quiet room. It's worth a try to see if these tweaks improve speech recognition. Hope this helps! And by the way, I'm new here on the forum. Nice to meet you all!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 07:40:05 AM by priscalos »