Author Topic: Audio Only Fails For VoiceAttack (Windows 10)  (Read 1880 times)

LinuxDevice

Audio Only Fails For VoiceAttack (Windows 10)
« on: January 29, 2023, 06:58:06 PM »
Last week I used VoiceAttack ok with Star Citizen. Today it doesn't work. Audio still works on everything else (I'm using headphones, tried with browser to YouTube, VLC player, so on...they all work).

I get one command to show it executes on VoiceAttack, but no audio. All of my device settings are to default to the headphones (which work on everything else). Commands actually go to Star Citizen, so there is that. The error shows something I researched which does not pan out:

Quote:
"Audio stream did not play in a timely manner.
Error initializing sound - Stream failure : Unable to acquire output device for audio playback."

Just to reiterate, all devices are set to my Razer headphones. Including VoiceAttack. Sound settings show VoiceAttack has permission. Sound settings show VoiceAttack has in fact acquired the headphones. The error message is lying.

How do I debug this in Windows 10 Pro? Other threads did not seem to have any suggestions which actually went anywhere.

LinuxDevice

Re: Audio Only Fails For VoiceAttack (Windows 10)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 07:38:56 PM »
I just noticed something: Audio works on SOME commands which speak, but not on others. Why would voice output of audio fail when speaking from one command but not from another?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 08:37:54 PM »
Very strange, for sure.  I'm not familiar with the problem you are having, so I'm going to have you try a couple of things-

First, verify the output device of the commands that work and compare them to the ones that do not work.  Your first message said
All of my device settings are to default to the headphones
and then goes on to say
all devices are set to my Razer headphones.
  You have the option to either leave the device as set to the default audio device, or select a specific device - just need to make sure it's lining up.

If it is indeed going to the Razer headphones (that is the action says that it's going to the Razer headphones), there may be something up with the cached device id.  I would try changing to another device, saving, and then set to the Razer headphones again to see if that works.  I would also give the 'default' device a go as well.

If those do not work, I would try recreating a broken command from scratch to see if that solves anything (it's possible that your data has somehow gotten borked).

LinuxDevice

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 06:13:59 PM »
This indirectly allowed me to resolve the issue. I ended up having to change device settings in multiple places, and then set them back. Eventually it worked. What was odd is that sometimes a setting would fix a problem, but then the first use caused it to fail. I kept changing to/from the headphones in different places (including Windows Control Panel), and eventually I could both speak to get commands and hear the reply, and it stopped shutting down listening (it wasn't marked as not listening, but it had been showing audio volume which suddenly stopped for no reason after first use).

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 10:38:24 PM »
Hmmm - that's very odd.  Unless you're changing device settings in VA's Options > Audio tab > Set Windows default.... or have commands with actions that change device settings, VA simply tells Windows to play audio through a specified channel (or use the default if none is specified).  Are you using 'Integrated Components' as your audio output type (Options > Audio tab)?